MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Dashes in Domain Names
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'd like to get your thoughts on whether or not an ideal domain name should have dashes separating the words. My ideal domain name is unfortunately taken (and is being parked by SEDO) with no copyrights that I was able to find. I am still able to register a comparable domain, by simply inserting a dash in between both words.

Do dashes in a domain name "de-value" the website in a user's mind and/or SEO? Personally, I don't like to see dashes in a domain, but I would like to know if I'm alone in this.

If it is not ideal to use dashes, I'm sure I can come up with another domain.
No, SEO won't be affected by using a dash/hyphen.
Since you are developing the domain it should be fine.
Undeveloped = (generally) harder to resell / (perception of) Less value
Dashes are only good for print and readability.

For example, articles-about-html.com looks much nicer than articlesabouthtml.com.
It's just another character, to be quite frank I prefer non-dashed domains but I won't avoid a site because of it.
I prefer Non-Dashed domain. There are more pitfalls to using dashes than there are benefits. Recently, Google has been changed the way they look at domain names with dashes. In a best-case scenario, Google will simply ignore your domain name. The dashes won’t help at all. In a worst-case scenario, Google will penalize you for using dashes.

There is also another drawback to using dashes in a domain name. They are harder to remember and they are harder to type in when people want to go directly to the URL. You want to make it as simple as possible for people to find you on the Internet.

Keep your domain name as short as possible. You need to try to keep it under 25 characters.
Thank you for all of your responses!

(2011-04-03, 09:46 AM)The Elite Wrote: [ -> ]No, SEO won't be affected by using a dash/hyphen.

(2011-04-03, 03:58 PM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]I prefer Non-Dashed domain. There are more pitfalls to using dashes than there are benefits. Recently, Google has been changed the way they look at domain names with dashes. In a best-case scenario, Google will simply ignore your domain name. The dashes won’t help at all. In a worst-case scenario, Google will penalize you for using dashes.

Since these views are both conflicting, do either of you know of any literature or articles that support these SEO theories?

Thanks again!
Yet again a perfectly good and valid thing ruined by idiots. Thanks for the link.
I prefer no dashes, but I think they look fine as long as there aren't too many words.
Pages: 1 2