MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Best way to deal with DDOS attacks?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
There's some skid who's mad at me, who is generally using his booter to DDOS my site. The blasts last around 60 seconds each time, then it goes away. But it's still rather annoying. What's the best way to deal with these? I heard you can block IPs etc to prevent them?

Or is the best thing to simply wait for the kid to get bored and then notify my members when I get the chance.

Thanks.
Moving to a better hosted server and adding protocols to mitigate attacks will help with smaller attacks and may give you early warning of a larger attack.
(2011-04-03, 04:41 PM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]Moving to a better hosted server and adding protocols to mitigate attacks will help with smaller attacks and may give you early warning of a larger attack.
Can you give me an example? Currently we're on hostgator, pretty much any host will be subject to DDOS attacks unless I pay a hefty price for protection, which I don't need as it's just one skid who's bored. The genre of my site doesn't attract much DDOS attacks.

But yeah if you gave me an example of some protocols I can add to help, that would be very helpful. Rolleyes
You can always block some IPs if you know them from your cPanel.
I've blocked his IP. But if it's from a booter it won't be from his IP will it?
Blocking IP is not a solution. Attackers mostly use Proxies.
If it's one IP it's a DOS attack, not a DDOS. There's really no way of protecting from a DDOS attack unless your host will run all incoming connections through an expensive piece of hardware.

DOS attacks are much easier to defeat but you'll need access to the firewall. You just block all connections from that one IP.
Have you looked at cloudflare? It's supposedly quite a good tool to help combat small scale DDOS attacks.
Not seen cloudfare before. Will do some research. It's from a booter so it's from a large number of shells no doubt.
This is nothing to do with MyBB at all, moved to correct forum.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6