MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Need help understanding header
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm making changes in the header and I don't want to mess up something important. Can you please tell me what the codes below in red do? I've included the context so you can see where they are.

Quote: <hr class="hidden" />
<div id="panel">
{$welcomeblock}
</div>
</div>
<hr class="hidden" />
<br class="clear" />
HI Andrew,
'hr' is easy, it's a divider, like this.
Except the line is hidden... <hr class="hidden" />

#
<br />Is normally just a line break
<br class="clear" /> (The "clear" part) Can help keep the structure of your site from overlapping and causing a big mess.*

*I've removed <br class="clear" /> without any problems...
...possible "issues" can depend on what else you change. Smile
  • Also remember to check your modified theme in different browsers.
<br class="clear" /> is used to clear floats in order to keep the templates all aligned correctly. As said above, <hr class="hidden" /> is just a hidden divider.
Thanks. Now it's making more sense. There are structural elements that are not seen. And now I don't know what the heck to do.

Here is an over-simplified version of the order of things in the default header

Quote:logo
menu
<hr class="hidden" />
panel
<hr class="hidden" />
<br class="clear" />

on-call notices
breadcrumb

I plan to move the panel above the menu. The panel will become very simple, the menu will become a drop down. And now I have no idea where those structural elements are needed.

I'm tempted to do it as below. But I know zero about any of this. I'm just a beginner taking a stab in the dark.

Quote:logo
panel
<hr class="hidden" />
menu
<hr class="hidden" />
<br class="clear" />

oncall notices
breadcrumb

Comments anyone?
That looks right enough. Have you got the firebug extension for chrome/firefox? It'll help you understand what's going on - especially if you have template opening/closing comments turned on in the settings.