MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Help! Error on upgrading from 1.4 -> 1.62
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey people I was wondering if anyone could give me any help on an issue I'm having when upgrading my forums from an old 1.4 version up to 1.62

So far I have followed the steps outlined in the documentation which comes with the downloads.

# Unzip the release archive to your computer using an archive utility capable of decompressing the download format you chose (WinZip, WinRAR)

# Using an ftp client (FlashFXP, FileZilla, SmartFTP), upload the contents of the 'Upload' directory to the directory in which you have a previous version of MyBB installed, with the exception of uploading of the following file:
./inc/settings.php

# In your browser, visit the URL where you installed your forums, appending /install/upgrade.php on to the end of it.

If you installed your forums to http://www.yoursite.com/forums/, then you would visit http://www.yoursite.com/forums/install/upgrade.php

I overwrote all the files in my directory with the new versions from upload, except the settings.php. However when I visit the site as described in the instructions I get this error.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /homepages/35/d75280687/htdocs/wsc75280695/forum/inc/class_core.php on line 18

And I'm stumped from here. I tried repeating the stages again but it gave me the same error still.

Any help would be great!

Thank you.
You just upload settings.php as well,there would be no effect,even though you delete settings.php and when you refresh page,its re-created on its own with correct settings automatically,just if you are scared,backup settings.php copy on your PC and upload the new one and try maybe.
crazy4cs, I'd suggest learning more about MyBB than giving bad support like that. Undecided

@Purps: Find a new host, as your current host doesn't support PHP5.1+
(2011-04-04, 03:56 PM)Shukaku Wrote: [ -> ]crazy4cs, I'd suggest learning more about MyBB than giving bad support like that. Undecided
I don't know much in deep but I studied MyBB quite good,I tried on my own forums deleting settings.php or uploading empty settings.php and it wrote settings again.You should try before you say maybe.

After some research I've found out that my host does support PHP 5.1+ but for some reason the forums (and the pages) default to using PHP 4.4.9. I'm a bit of a PHP novice so I have no clue here, but is it possible to point our forums towards PHP 5.1 (5.2.17 is the one we have) instead of the version it appears to be defaulting too?
Contact your host to find out how to do this.
Yeah I found this link on their FAQ - http://faq.1and1.co.uk/scripting/htaccess/8.html

And went through the steps but there was still that same error. Beginning to think upgrading was a bad idea Toungue

Thanks for all the help
What's your URL?

Have renamed htaccess.txt to .htaccess ??
You'll need to ask your host about this, we can't support you with upgrading your PHP version.