MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Set a custom description?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How do I set a "custom description" for my forum?
Example: When I go to Google and search "MyBB", it says:
"The official homepage for MyBB, a free PHP and MySQL based discussion system."
You can set those in headerinclude using the meta tags.

This is whats set in MyBB:

<meta name="description" content="The official homepage for MyBB, a free PHP and MySQL based discussion system." /> 

Read more about it here: http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_meta.asp

If you use the google-seo plugin, I believe this is set up for you dynamically for each thread/forum.
-Is there a plugin that can do this for me?
-If I use the Google SEO plugin, will editing headerinclude "override" the Google SEO meta?
Don't put a meta description in the headerinclude template, having the same meta description on every page is bad for SEO.

Add them to the index and/or portal templates and if you want them for threads/forums install the Google SEO plugin or something similar that creates dynamic descriptions.
A simple plugin to do this all : http://yaldaram.com/showthread.php?tid=464
(2011-04-05, 03:02 PM)AJS Wrote: [ -> ]Don't put a meta description in the headerinclude template, having the same meta description on every page is bad for SEO.

Add them to the index and/or portal templates and if you want them for threads/forums install the Google SEO plugin or something similar that creates dynamic descriptions.
How exactly would I edit the Index template? (What part do I edit?)
(2011-04-05, 10:18 PM)Iamazn Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-04-05, 03:02 PM)AJS Wrote: [ -> ]Don't put a meta description in the headerinclude template, having the same meta description on every page is bad for SEO.

How exactly would I edit the Index template? (What part do I edit?)

"Default Templates/Index Page Templates/Index" - Forum Index
"Default Templates/Portal Templates/portal" - Portal Index

Then above: {$headerinclude}
Add your Meta Description and Meta Keywords tag

<meta name="description" content="Visit our MyBB forum board." />
<meta name="keywords" content="mybb,forum,board" />
{$headerinclude}