MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Tips for Speeding Up Responsiveness?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, all. I'm hoping that you gurus can give me some advice for speeding up the response time for our MyBB forum.

We are using MyBB 1.6.2 on a private forum for the staff of Stratics Forums. The private forum has 600 members and 497,863 posts. However, because we offer private forums to each of Stratics' portals/sections (i.e., EVE, RIFT, LotRO, etc.), we also have 60 usergroups. As it turns out,

(dozens of forums) x (60 usergroups) = (huge permissions cache) = (very sluggish response time)

I'm aware that we're asking the software to do a lot, but I have a lot of faith in MyBB. Although I am working to prune some of these usergroups (note: we started at around 90 groups), I would be interested to hear any ideas/brainstorming about how to speed the site as is.

That's very much! Big Grin
Have you GZIP compression enabled?:

ACP>Configuration>Server Optimization Options>GZIP Compression.
Do Group memberships shift a lot? Otherwise, perhaps, using forum passwords might be an option.
Passwords is a very interesting idea. I'll have to consider that one... Thank you. Smile

I have tried GZIP and it did help, but it screws up our themes. Sad
(2011-04-06, 05:25 PM)linguist Wrote: [ -> ]Do Group memberships shift a lot? Otherwise, perhaps, using forum passwords might be an option.
That should be no problem because usergroups are saved in the cache.
(2011-04-06, 07:23 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-04-06, 05:25 PM)linguist Wrote: [ -> ]Do Group memberships shift a lot? Otherwise, perhaps, using forum passwords might be an option.
That should be no problem because usergroups are saved in the cache.

Yes. But if memberships change a lot you have to change forum passwords accordingly if you want to prevent ex-members of, say, group A to enter group A's forum any longer. Thus, passwords are only a good solution if you don't have to exchange them every other day.
They don't shift often, but it's a bit of a hassle to ask folks to remember several passwords. This could certainly be a solution, but I'm hoping for a more technical solution.
If you follow some of labrocca's threads (like this one: http://community.mybb.com/thread-63048.html ) he has been tweaking his site to keep it running faster for the amount of traffic he gets.
One of the things that I have tried from his suggestions and confirmed to make a huge difference in performance is to change the sessions table to be heap/memory. You could give it a try
Are you using xcache or any caching mechanisms? MyBB does support php accelerators for usergroups.

Quote:ACP>Configuration>Server Optimization Options>GZIP Compression.

The Gzip would not be a performance increase for his usergroup permissions.

The OPs problem stems directly from the size of datacache. I'd have to see actual performance and advanced statistics to troubleshoot deep problems with 60 usergroups but if queries are very high and slow then use php caching (xcache recommended) along with some core custom changes. But again, It would taking tweaking and root level access to watch everything in live environment to find bottlenecks.
It's frightening how untechnical I am. Anything in particular I should look for in the advanced statistics?