MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Emails marked as spam?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been annoyed by the fact that most of the emails sent from my forum to yahoo,hotmail & aol addresses are not getting delivered. Some are not in the spam box even they are rejected from the servers. Only the gmail emails are passing through since I have added a spf record. How do I overcome this?
You've to contact your host as to why they are sending emails to spam/or any other folders.
Are you sure it's a problem with the host? I did select PHP mail. Not using SMTP.
Even when you select PHP, php will use server's mail program (like sendmail) to send the mail. PHP does not directly communicate with the external mail receiving servers.

The only way to properly troubleshoot this you'd need to have access to the logs that are generated by the server's mail program when the mail is sent, there you'd be able to see why the other servers are rejecting you. If you don't have access to these logs then you'd need to get your host to help you out here.

Most mail hosts like yahoo, hotmail etc will reject you if your server's ip is dynamic, or is listed on any one of the blacklists they use (spamhaus, barracuda etc) To check if your server's IP is blacklisted check spamhaus, or use mxtoolbox to check multiple lists
(2011-04-08, 09:01 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]Even when you select PHP, php will use server's mail program (like sendmail) to send the mail. PHP does not directly communicate with the external mail receiving servers.

The only way to properly troubleshoot this you'd need to have access to the logs that are generated by the server's mail program when the mail is sent, there you'd be able to see why the other servers are rejecting you. If you don't have access to these logs then you'd need to get your host to help you out here.

Most mail hosts like yahoo, hotmail etc will reject you if your server's ip is dynamic, or is listed on any one of the blacklists they use (spamhaus, barracuda etc) To check if your server's IP is blacklisted check spamhaus, or use mxtoolbox to check multiple lists
I checked the blocklist lookup lists on spamhaus and when I checked for my server IP it passed all tests. None of them had been blacklisted. I have access to the cpannel. Can you please be kind enough to guide me through how to check the logs? I tried by checking the error logs and it doesnt show anything related to email. At the moment of speaking I have setup google apps so the mx records are set to google.
Not all cpanels give access to the sendmail/exim logs, its dependent on the host if they have allowed you access to them. Check your panel for sendmail log or exim log, depending on which application they use on the server.

If the logs are not there then you will have to ask your host for them.

EDIT: Alternatively you can use SMTP mail since you already have your domain setup for google apps. Its less prone to mail errors but you might run in to problems if you send a large amount of mail
(2011-04-08, 08:48 PM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]Not all cpanels give access to the sendmail/exim logs, its dependent on the host if they have allowed you access to them. Check your panel for sendmail log or exim log, depending on which application they use on the server.

If the logs are not there then you will have to ask your host for them.

EDIT: Alternatively you can use SMTP mail since you already have your domain setup for google apps. Its less prone to mail errors but you might run in to problems if you send a large amount of mail

I guess I have a panel which doesnt give access to the sendmail/exim logs. I checked from the cpanel and I couldnt find it. I should contact the host to ask for the logs then.

I have tried google mail before and they seem to block the emails after we sent a mail through their server.