MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SEO Urls Forum Name
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Are we some how able to make change it so that they it shows the forum name and not just a generic forum-1 for example?
(2011-04-05, 03:09 PM)Asonda Wrote: [ -> ]Are we some how able to make change it so that they it shows the forum name and not just a generic forum-1 for example?

Personally, I think your better off with it not using keywords in the URL like the name of your forum. If it did and you suddenly one day change a forum name after Google has indexed lots of threads from that forum using the old name. Your left with lots of 404 error pages in Google. That's the downside to having keywords in URL structure. Same thing would happen if you rename a thread title that's already indexed by Google, if the URL contained keywords taken from it.

The way it is now, you can move a thread, rename it, rename a forum and your links indexed will not break. You have more flexibility with the current SEO URL structure than you first might think.

(2011-04-05, 03:09 PM)Asonda Wrote: [ -> ]Are we some how able to make change it so that they it shows the forum name and not just a generic forum-1 for example?

This also has absolutely nothing to do with the topic posted... splitting.
(2011-04-05, 05:02 PM)Gary Bolton Wrote: [ -> ]Personally, I think your better off with it not using keywords in the URL like the name of your forum. If it did and you suddenly one day change a forum name after Google has indexed lots of threads from that forum using the old name. Your left with lots of 404 error pages in Google. That's the downside to having keywords in URL structure. Same thing would happen if you rename a thread title that's already indexed by Google, if the URL contained keywords taken from it.

The way it is now, you can move a thread, rename it, rename a forum and your links indexed will not break. You have more flexibility with the current SEO URL structure than you first might think.

The Google SEO plugin doesn't work like that, changing the forum name has no impact on thread URL's. It also accounts for changes in forum/thread titles and redirects to the new URL - it won't cause any 404 errors.

http://mods.mybb.com/view/google-seo

OK, I stand corrected then. I wasn't aware it takes into account thread title changes later and redirects to the new one.

If you don't mind me asking, this mod has been around for ages and seems to be very highly recormended for boosting your MyBB board SEO. How comes no thought has been given to taking the mods features and making MyBB 1.6 use much more friendly URL's by default and the 404 Error page it uses.