MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What is Google doing visiting my forum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Few times I saw a username Google viewing my forum... well it's not a user since Google is not registered to my forum, however, it automatically says it's Google and shows up as one of the members under who's online.

Google 06:30 AM Viewing Profile of Pwince

I was wondering what this was all about. Is google spying on me?
No, don't worry. It is a Google Bot and it is simply indexing your website so that it can include it in search engine listings. MyBB automatically recognizes various search bots and displays them on the Who's Online bit when they visit. This is a good thing! Wink
It's Google's bot. I'm guessing you don't know much about bots or crawlers so I'll try to summarize it the best I can. - In order for search results to appear on search engines they need to be "crawled". Now this would take for ever to do manually considering the amount of websites on the internet. So search engines have their own "bots" which crawl pages automatically and add them to their database. What you're seeing is Google's bot/crawler. (Which is good since it's causing your site to appear in Google's search results)
(2011-04-10, 06:37 AM)Pwince Wrote: [ -> ]Few times I saw a username Google viewing my forum...

sig worthy
(2011-04-10, 06:50 AM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-04-10, 06:37 AM)Pwince Wrote: [ -> ]Few times I saw a username Google viewing my forum...

sig worthy
lol man. Toungue

If you don't want to index selective forums (e.g. Private, Confidential forums) then you may use this: http://yaldaram.com/showthread.php?tid=524
(2011-04-10, 06:50 AM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]

sig worthy

I don't think making fun of someone who is obviously new to the webmaster world is very constructive.
(2011-04-10, 06:46 AM)Kodaks Wrote: [ -> ]No, don't worry. It is a Google Bot and it is simply indexing your website so that it can include it in search engine listings. MyBB automatically recognizes various search bots and displays them on the Who's Online bit when they visit. This is a good thing! Wink

(2011-04-10, 06:49 AM)pyridine Wrote: [ -> ]It's Google's bot. I'm guessing you don't know much about bots or crawlers so I'll try to summarize it the best I can. - In order for search results to appear on search engines they need to be "crawled". Now this would take for ever to do manually considering the amount of websites on the internet. So search engines have their own "bots" which crawl pages automatically and add them to their database. What you're seeing is Google's bot/crawler. (Which is good since it's causing your site to appear in Google's search results)

@ pyridine & kodaks
Haha, I see. I thought I was being haxed or something on my forum. I freaked out b/c nobody named Google registered. So I changed my admin password and panicked lol!
Thanks for the explanations guys!

(2011-04-10, 07:08 AM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]If you don't want to index selective forums (e.g. Private, Confidential forums) then you may use this: http://yaldaram.com/showthread.php?tid=524

Ohhh this seems like a good program. Once my forum gets more people, I will make private area and will have to use your program. Thanks for the suggestion!

(2011-04-10, 07:08 AM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]If you don't want to index selective forums (e.g. Private, Confidential forums) then you may use this: http://yaldaram.com/showthread.php?tid=524

Google wouldn't be able to index forums that aren't visible for guests anyway. I think, if you don't want Google to see it, you don't want your guests to see it and then you can just remove the viewing privileges for guests.
(2011-04-10, 08:36 AM)Aries-Belgium Wrote: [ -> ]Google wouldn't be able to index forums that aren't visible for guests anyway. I think, if you don't want Google to see it, you don't want your guests to see it and then you can just remove the viewing privileges for guests.

The main purpose behind this plugin is to allow guests to those forums but disallow bots. In this way you've a better chance of Disallowing bots to Crawl on Private forums. Wink
Pages: 1 2