MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Alexa Accurate?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've got many links to my website (from sites using my themes, signatures etc). Yet Alexa only shows 5 links to my site. The one on MyBB doesn't even count as one of the links, yet it's been cached many times and my link appears on it. So I'm wondering, is Alexa that accurate?

Also, this has been happening for a month.
I believe Alexa only uses links from the main index of a site. Don't quote me, it just sounds famaliar.
Alexa is hit or miss IMO. I have had sites with decent but not heavy traffic in the top 200k while I've had sites with 10x the traffic, linkbacks, and better Google ranking and still be in the 700k range.
No alexa is not really accurate. It gets more accurate when your site is below the 100K, but even then it's easily influenced. It all depends on how many of your visitors have installed the alexa plugin.

The sites linking in is updated every 3 months. Not sure if that's accurate. Mine shows 41, but i think there are more.
(2011-04-12, 04:54 AM)Disturbed Wrote: [ -> ]It all depends on how many of your visitors have installed the alexa plugin.

False.
(2011-04-12, 05:34 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-04-12, 04:54 AM)Disturbed Wrote: [ -> ]It all depends on how many of your visitors have installed the alexa plugin.

False.

Not completely.

Quote:Q: Where does Alexa get the traffic data?
Alexa gets its traffic data, including reach, page views and rank information, from a global panel of web users. The panel is used as a statistical sample of Internet usage to extrapolate overall traffic patterns and web usage information. The panel consists of Alexa Toolbar users and other sources web usage information. Details about Alexa’s traffic data can be found on Alexa.com.
http://aws.amazon.com/awis/faqs/#Where_d...affic_data

Yes they do rely on the Alexa Toolbar but they also rely on many other sources. So yes, completely false because Alexa Toolbar is not the main source of data. Wink
So pretty much, it's not accurate and not something I should rely heavily on?
It's nice for data, but it's not something you should focus on or work on improving. Setup Google Analytics and use that for tracking traffic and what-not.
I dont use it, I dont care..
I do care, only the Google results Wink
Pages: 1 2