MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Restricting access to a forum using group promotions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
You can use the MyBB group promotions to restrict access to a forum until members reach a specific number of posts, reputation points, referrals or time registered. In the example below members will not be able to access a certain forum until they have made 10 post and been registered for 10 days.

1. ACP >> Users & Groups >> Groups >> Add New User Group

Create a new user group, copying the permissions from the Registered group.
[attachment=22259]

2. ACP >> Forums & Posts >> yourforum >> Options >> Permissions

Edit the original Registered groups permissions so that members can't access the forum you wish to have a post count / time registered restriction. If you want them to be able to read threads but not post, give them permissions to view.
[attachment=22260]

3. ACP >> Users & Groups >> Group Promotions >> Add New Promotion

Set the promotion as desired, the screenshot shows the correct settings to promote from the Registered group to the Full Members group after a user has made 10 posts and been registered for 7 days.
[attachment=22261]

You can also use the group promotions system to restrict new members viewing profiles, voting in polls, editing posts, uploading attachments - anything you find in the group permissions basically.
Good tutorial AJS. Smile
Very nice. Smile
For the private message does not work!
(2011-04-23, 01:58 PM)James Sharid Wrote: [ -> ]For the private message does not work!

Yes, it does.

The only difference when restricting private messaging is that at step 2 you go to ACP >> Users & Groups >> Groups >> yourgroup >> Users and Permissions instead. Then remove the private messaging permissions.
This is good. I m thinking of making this on reputation instead of posts. thanks for this, i'll use this in the future.
does it have to be 10 posts, and 7 days in order for it to work?
(2011-07-21, 12:42 AM)acidboy101 Wrote: [ -> ]does it have to be 10 posts, and 7 days in order for it to work?

No, you can choose how many posts/days you like.
If I create this promotion on a forum that already has users who've posted X times and have registered more than Y days ago, these users won't be promoted automatically.

Also, I don't see an option to run the promotion manually.
I think you can run the task manually, just run the promotion task.
Pages: 1 2