MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Which template does what?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I may have missed this info in the Wiki - if so, please kick me in the right direction. Smile

So far, I've installed myBB and spent a couple of hours testing it. All's fine, and I'm really impressed. So I've now started to create my own templates to clean up myBB's default appearance. First, I created a duplicate set of templates to work from. The difficulty I'm having is in working out where each template is used on the various pages of myBB?

This Wiki page - http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Admin_CP_...ate_Groups - has a list of the categories with short explanations. But I'm having to do a lot of trial and error to work them out (seem to be >100 individual templates). Is there a definitive list of which template is used where/when?

So far, I'm getting there by trial-and-error. For example, I've added numbers and placemarkers to help me identify where parts of the Index page are and have worked out how and where to add my left-sidebar. You can see the work-in-progress here: http://www.privateeramps.com/infocentre2/index.php

But - if I've got the right idea - it looks like I'll have to repeat these modifications in the other templates - for forum viewing, etc, etc.

Any pointers? Have I overlooked something?
100 individual templates...

It does seem like a huge list. They all have descriptive names, so soon you'll find your way around much easier.
For me, MyBB is very intuitive, just "keep exploring a bit more", and soon you will be able to find almost anything. Smile

Quote:...it looks like I'll have to repeat these modifications in the other templates - for forum viewing, etc, etc.

Perhaps not:
forumdisplay template:
{$header}
{$moderatedby}
{$usersbrowsing}
{$rules}
{$subforums}
{$threadslist}
{$permission_box}
{$footer}
...most of it simply shows you the list of other templates (ie. {$threadslist} ) which are being loaded.

When you are stuck and need to find something specific, then someone here can usually answer pretty fast.
Have fun.

What browser are you using?
Thanks guys. At least I know I'm not overlooking some official documentation about it.

I'm usng IE8. And so I'm back and forward with View Source - effectively trying to reverse engineer the relationship between template fragments and the overall Web pages as served out by the forum software.

Am making progress - just more trial and error than I'd like. (Managed to squish the whole forumdown to about 150 pixels yesterday - recovered it now).