MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Weird Code Issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I get this weird code:

What's causing this issue? I've reuploaded the language files.

URL: www.runegear.net
It is the Byte Order Mark. If you see it in a file, it means that file was edited with an editor that added the BOM. You have to look through files and remove  wherever you see it. It's usually found in the top of the page. You should also make sure these files are encoded with UTF8 without BOM. Notepad++ allows this in the Encoding menu.

Luckily there is a nifty little tool available here. Change the compatibility line (as it was written for 1.4), upload to /inc/plugins, run it and fix the files that say FAIL.
(2011-04-14, 11:17 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]It is the Byte Order Mark. If you see it in a file, it means that file was edited with an editor that added the BOM. You have to look through files and remove  wherever you see it. It's usually found in the top of the page. You should also make sure these files are encoded with UTF8 without BOM. Notepad++ allows this in the Encoding menu.

Luckily there is a nifty little tool available here. Change the compatibility line (as it was written for 1.4), upload to /inc/plugins, run it and fix the files that say FAIL.

Doing that completely ruined functionality of my board, I'm now fixing it again. I think there must be another solution.
I just ran the plugin and it works wonders. Not sure why it doesn't work for you, probably another issue with your forum. But like I said, the solution is to go through all files and remove the BOM. That small plugin was just an easier way to find which files were corrupted. Since the plugin no longer works you will have to do it in another way.

MyBB has a very similiar tool by default. Go to Admin CP > Tools & Maintenance > File Verification and run it. Fix the files that are returned (some might be just customizations you made yourself).
(2011-04-15, 09:20 AM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]I just ran the plugin and it works wonders. Not sure why it doesn't work for you, probably another issue with your forum. But like I said, the solution is to go through all files and remove the BOM. That small plugin was just an easier way to find which files were corrupted. Since the plugin no longer works you will have to do it in another way.

MyBB has a very similiar tool by default. Go to Admin CP > Tools & Maintenance > File Verification and run it. Fix the files that are returned (some might be just customizations you made yourself).

This issue never occurred prior to the server move. Thanks for the assistance, I'm going to do some investigation into why this is occurring. You've definitely increased my insight in the error, I appreciate it.

EDIT: Odd... File verification outputs this error:

Quote: * There was a problem communicating with the MyBB server. Please try again in a few minutes.
Just try again later. What the tool does is check the latest version's source code (probably hosted in this server) and compares it to your files to make sure they are clean. And apparently it's just not being able to fetch the latest version's source code.

The forums were down a few hours ago. Maybe it has something to do with it.

I was wondering if any support member could shed some light here.
Disable GZip if you have it enabled and see if that fixes it.
(2011-04-15, 08:56 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Disable GZip if you have it enabled and see if that fixes it.

GZip is and hasn't ever been disabled. Issue still persists.
Then somewhere a file has been edited and there's a BOM as mentioned above, however we have no way of knowing what file it is.

File Verifications works for me so the connection error you got isn't an issue on our end. You could also try adding define("NO_PLUGINS", 1); after define("TIME_NOW", time()); in ./inc/init.php to stop plugins being loaded at runtime to see if it's one of those doing it.