MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Usage of Board URL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there

I am looking for a communication software for private usage at my home computer.. to access it from home and anywhere else. Yesterday I was testing MyBB and it looks nice.

During installation I was using 'localhost:port' as Board URL. My webserver is accessible by localhost, 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.0.2.. and it has a port number which differs to the standard port 80.

I have a DSL internet connection at home which is interrupted every 24 hours by my internet provider. To access my webserver from outside I am using DynDNS with a defined URL.

From outside my webserver is accessible by mydyndns:port. The installed MyBB is working this way particulary from outside too: MyBB is displayed (for example: start page with categories and so on) but without any layout (just white background and black text). Looks like CSS (or whatever) could not be loaded.

I am using Firefox with NoScript addon.. so I can see which scripts are working on the webside. There I found the error (maybe):

Following scripts (URLs) are affected from home:

webside: localhost, scripts: localhost
webside: 127.0.0.1, scripts: 127.0.0.1 + localhost
webside: 192.168.0.2, scripts: 192.168.0.2 + localhost

Seems that my Windows system, or the webserver, or the browser or just MyBB interprets localhost + 127.0.0.1 + 192.168.0.2 in the same way.. what is accurate. If I block the localhost-scripts with NoScript.. I can access MyBB furthermore by 127.0.0.1 and by 192.168.0.2 without any errors so far. All fine!

Following scripts (URLs) are affected from outside:

webside: mydyndns, scripts: mydyndns + localhost

All scripts are allowed but it seems that MyBB is using 'localhost' inside the code as variable.. because I used 'localhost' at the installation as Board URL. Am I right? The browser want load some scripts from 'localhost' what is a bit illogical if I am anywhere else.

It is not possible to set 'mydyndns' as Board URL because I cannot access 'mydyndns' from home.. because this refers to my external IP adress. Am I right?

Ok.. much text.. and maybe a simple solution. *g*

I was searching for detailed informations about the Board URL in MyBB but I found just a few basic informations.

Here is my question: Is there any possibility to access my webserver/MyBB from home and from outside? How to setup the Board URL in this case?

Greetings,
r0land
You'd have to access both from 192.168.0.2 I think. It might be easier just to get free hosting and a free domain.
You can only have one domain with MyBB, I'd recommend getting a domain and hosting so that you can access the site anywhere.
Ok, thanks for help.

I got my own webspace along with my mail accounts.. but I just wanted to give my home computer a try.

Then I have another question:

Why MyBB has this restriction? Is it for security reasons? Otherwise it should be easy to use the requested domain to get the needed scripts.

Greetings
I think every forum software has this 'restriction'.. It's just the way it works, I guess. Smile
As destroyer said, all software is like this. However, I suppose you could set up a so-called multi-forum set up, using one database and multiple forum installs (each forum install would need a lot of core file editing so that the required items [members, forums, threads, posts etc] are shared on all forums, but the URL being different. Never tried this though)
I think I found an easy solution: windowsroot/system32/drivers/etc/hosts

Added new entry: 192.168.0.2 mydyndns

And the Board URL at MyBB ACP I have changed to 'mydyndns'.

If I try now to access mydyndns at home.. windows redirect my browser to my local machine (192.168.0.2).

Works good. Firefox/NoScript detects scripts from 'mydyndns' only, no more scripts from 'localhost'. Just had to test it at work..

Greetings