MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Change IP Address: Logged to show UserID
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hello, I allow guests to post on my forum but all it shows when they post is "Guest". I would like to know if there is a way to have it show there unique UserID.

Since I'm not sure of MyBB assigns guests a user id then if they do not have a UserID, is there a way to put some type of User ID, like maybe by using cookies or knowing their ip address?

So, when guests post a comment or create a thread, it will say that it was posted by Guest but also show a unique ID?

I am asking this because I want people to not be able to post as a Guest and pretend to be multiple different guests. I want a number assigned to them via a cookie/IP address match or something.

Thank you all in advance
This kind of integration will need a plugin.

Moved to requests.
Thank you. Any Uber programmers out there =) ?
Anyone? I'm willing to pay.
Except it's really easy to clear cookies or change your IP address ...? If this is a big concern for you, mandate registration.
(2011-04-19, 05:36 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]Except it's really easy to clear cookies or change your IP address ...? If this is a big concern for you, mandate registration.

This is not a concern for me. I would still like this plugin created. One other thing I would need would be the ability for people to use the search feature and be able to search by a User ID to find posts, etc.
I'd say the easiest way to allow guests to securely identify themselves without logging in would be to allow them to enter a tripcode, although it would be optional for them.
(2011-04-19, 06:02 PM)Jammerx2 Wrote: [ -> ]I'd say the easiest way to allow guests to securely identify themselves without logging in would be to allow them to enter a tripcode, although it would be optional for them.

I would not want this to be optional. I would want a User ID assigned as soon as they post a comment and that ID should stick with them as long as they are posting from the same ip address and/or cookie is on their computer. I would not want anyone to visit the site unless cookies are turned on. If cookies are turned off then they get only a warning page telling them that they must allow cookies in order to view the website.
OK, but what if they just empty their cookies later? Seriously man this is pretty ridiculous. You'd be better off setting up a system where a user completes a very fast registration and they are assigned their username -- a user ID # -- automatically.
Yeah, not to mention the fact that you would have to prune the user id's quite often.
Pages: 1 2 3 4