MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: User Group tags.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Title doesn't really cover the idea, but maybe it would be an idea to have tags that make the content between those tags only visible to certain usergroups.

I sometimes see posts where people list all the plugins they have installed, including version numbers.

I for one wouldn't be too comfortable with that. It tells others way too much about your forum and possible plugin vulnerabilities.
He's not meaning that at all, that just creates a BBCode with hidden content.

What the OP wants is to have a BBCode or codes that show to specific usergroups (eg Someone posts a support thread and they are on 1.4.3, which has a big security vulnerability. The BBCode would be able to hide this info to only those in a specific usergroup)

That's how I see it as.
I think it's what Shukaku is describing as that's what I got out of it as well. But, I've rarely seen a request for a list of plugins installed and if you aren't making sure that you have the latest version of everything(plugin and forum wise) before opening a support thread you were open before the post anyway.

While I could see it being used on some sites I don't think it should be used here as there are really 2 groups. Staff and members... And, well staff do this out of their free time and if they miss that topic we'll get complaints that support is slow(already do) even though a regular member could have answered the question if the information wasn't hidden.
(2011-04-16, 12:23 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]I think it's what Shukaku is describing as that's what I got out of it as well. But, I've rarely seen a request for a list of plugins installed and if you aren't making sure that you have the latest version of everything(plugin and forum wise) before opening a support thread you were open before the post anyway.

While I could see it being used on some sites I don't think it should be used here as there are really 2 groups. Staff and members... And, well staff do this out of their free time and if they miss that topic we'll get complaints that support is slow(already do) even though a regular member could have answered the question if the information wasn't hidden.

Yup, it's like what Shukaku described. Good points.. Still, there are a lot of noobs who won't look at such things (updated plugins)

O well, it was just an idea..