MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Just starting out and could use a few pointers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I want to create a website with a forum, and after doing a little research it appears mybb is what most people suggest. I want to create a site that is similar to this one, in which it is not only a forum. I am planning on using dreamweaver for the homepage, about, help and things like that then I want to add in the forums. Does anyone have any suggestions about where I should start? Once I create everything in Dreamweaver how do I add mybb or should I start from mybb and build off that?
(2011-04-19, 09:37 PM)tylerr82 Wrote: [ -> ]I want to create a website with a forum, and after doing a little research it appears mybb is what most people suggest. I want to create a site that is similar to this one, in which it is not only a forum. I am planning on using dreamweaver for the homepage, about, help and things like that then I want to add in the forums. Does anyone have any suggestions about where I should start? Once I create everything in Dreamweaver how do I add mybb or should I start from mybb and build off that?

Welcome!

Personally, I would start out with MyBB and then slowly expand as you become more comfortable. MyBB has a built in portal that can be modified and there are also a lot of plugins like "page manager" that allow you to create multiple different pages powered by MyBB.

No, do not use Dreamweaver or any other sort of "website builder". Learn HTML and CSS yourself.
Thank you for the welcome. I don't understand why I would want to just code it. I looked and looked at what language to learn but there are so many and nobody can give me an answer on what to learn besides html, but that a lot of sites use more complicated things. I figured learning dreamweaver would be an easy way to start. I know making a forum in there would be rough so that is why I want to use mybb then edit the home page and things like that with mybb. Is that easy or difficult?
Dreamweaver fine for your first couple of years. Later on, you might not need it as much, if at all.
(2011-04-20, 03:16 AM)seeker Wrote: [ -> ]Dreamweaver fine for your first couple of years. Later on, you might not need it as much, if at all.

What I want to do is use dreamweaver with my bb. I am starting from scratch, should I upload mybb then make some dreamweaver pages? Or do it the other way around?
Okay, first of all welcome to MyBB crew, am sure you gonna have a long journey along with as.

As I can see, you want to integrate portal/some page with MyBB.

The most recommended way and suggestion by me would be that,

1. You should create a portal page with dreamweaver, example www.yourdomain.com

2. Next you want to do is integrate MyBB (forum), so you can just create MyBB Forum in;
yourdomain.com/forum

So you can just create a portal and post topics and link them along to the link of threads on forums or as per your likes.

Best Regards,

crazy.
Either way will work really, just do whichever you're more comfortable with.
That is just what I was looking for. Do you have any suggested reading? Any blogs or tutorials you guys really enjoy?
For Dreamweaver or for css and html?

Dreamweaver
http://www.worldstart.com/a-beginners-gu...eamweaver/

html and css
http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp
http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

Once you get better at it you will be able to memorize mostly everything. Lots and lots of practice.
Pages: 1 2