MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How do you backup your forum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I still have backups from the first website I built and every time I retire a server I make a full backup (I still have a daily, weekly, and monthly backup of all of my Host2x clients from a few years back).

I've compressed it as best as I could so it's not to bad:
Quote:> du -sh
152.3G .
What would be the best way to backup my MySQL database to an external server? I have two shared hosting accounts with two different hosts and I would love to be able to have automatically generated MySQL backups sent to the other server every X number of days.
(2011-04-20, 05:41 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]I use a shell script and do it once a day.

Basically this.
Mine saves using the Day of Week as part of the filename, the db name as the other part. Its all done via cron.
So I have:
Sunday-dylanspcs_mybb.sql.bz2
Monday-dylanspcs_mybb.sql.bz2
Tuesday-dylanspcs_mybb.sql.bz2
Wednesday-dylanspcs_mybb.sql.bz2
Thursday-dylanspcs_mybb.sql.bz2
Friday-dylanspcs_mybb.sql.bz2
Saturday-dylanspcs_mybb.sql.bz2

And thats it. I manually backup files every time I make a change. I considered a Day of Month solution, but since not all months are the same length I didn't want the extra code to detect month rollovers and if the previous month wasn't a full 31 days delete the excess files. If I need more than 1 weeks worth of backups, I'm not maintaining my site properly anyways.
(2011-04-22, 02:41 AM)Kodaks Wrote: [ -> ]What would be the best way to backup my MySQL database to an external server? I have two shared hosting accounts with two different hosts and I would love to be able to have automatically generated MySQL backups sent to the other server every X number of days.

Do either hosts allow SSH?
(2011-04-22, 03:22 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-04-22, 02:41 AM)Kodaks Wrote: [ -> ]What would be the best way to backup my MySQL database to an external server? I have two shared hosting accounts with two different hosts and I would love to be able to have automatically generated MySQL backups sent to the other server every X number of days.

Do either hosts allow SSH?
Yes.
Thanks all for your suggestions! I've created a wiki page section for doing automatic backups (there was none before):

http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Admin_CP_...ackup_Task
Just set up a new server. Previously just used mysqldump, but am not a fan of dumping 400MB database. Might switch to mysqlhotcopy (if it works with Aria storage engine) -> send to external server or consider a replicated slave backup.
Files can easily be done via rsync.
Pages: 1 2