MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Homeserver install issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
you dont really want the files owned by root either.

are you running apache, lightspeed, or what? you really should create a user account and use that for web account owner.
(2011-04-22, 03:15 AM)grave Wrote: [ -> ]Ok..than these things doesnt matter if it asks you to recheck... let it be... proceed further and make your site up...thats it
Have Fun Smile

Uhh, no I can't just skip the option.. it's recheck until they're right or nothing.

(2011-04-22, 03:32 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]you dont really want the files owned by root either.

are you running apache, lightspeed, or what? you really should create a user account and use that for web account owner.

I'm currently using Apache. How do you mean create a new account and use it for the web owner? Should I try CHModding the files under a different user besides root?
root has all permissions. If your site gets hacked, and the user has all permissions, they could wipe the server clean.

I know that, I've chmodded the files with the root account yet no success.
Try this again:
cd /var/www/html/forums
chmod -R 0777 cache
chmod -R 0777 uploads
(2011-04-22, 09:52 AM)Aries-Belgium Wrote: [ -> ]Try this again:
cd /var/www/html/forums
chmod -R 0777 cache
chmod -R 0777 uploads

I tried that and it still did not work.
I see your directories got chmoded with the sticky bit (rws/rwt instead of rwx) Its probable the files did too.

Do a chmod -t <folder/file>
and chmod -s <folder/file>

Then you can use chmod ugo+rwx <folder/file> to chmod it to 777 to test to see if it works. Once you made sure its working you can relax the chmods back to 644/755

Also, you should not be doing stuff like uploading files and testing things as root. Make a new user, give them /var/www as their home directory, add permissions to it and use that user to upload stuff and install and test
(2011-04-22, 10:45 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]I see your directories got chmoded with the sticky bit (rws/rwt instead of rwx) Its probable the files did too.

Do a chmod -t <folder/file>
and chmod -s <folder/file>

Then you can use chmod ugo+rwx <folder/file> to chmod it to 777 to test to see if it works. Once you made sure its working you can relax the chmods back to 644/755

Also, you should not be doing stuff like uploading files and testing things as root. Make a new user, give them /var/www as their home directory, add permissions to it and use that user to upload stuff and install and test

I tried exactly as you said and it's still not working. Sad
Okay, try this for me. As you haven't installed it yet, you wouldn't mind starting from scratch, right?

Go to the directory:
cd /var/www/forums

Remove everything in that folder:
rm -Rf *

Run the following one-liner:
wget --content-disposition http://www.mybb.com/download/latest -O mybb.zip && unzip mybb.zip "Upload/*" && mv Upload/* . && rm -Rf Upload mybb.zip && mv inc/config.default.php inc/config.php && chmod -R 0777 cache uploads inc/settings.php inc/config.php

This will download the latest version to the current directory, extract it and change the mode for all necessary files.

Now try to install it again and normally all requirements will check out and you will be able to continue with the installation.
I tried that above and it still did not work. Ugh.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5