MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How did you get people to find your forum in first place?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Did you all pay to advertise or what? I know this is a vague question, but that's the nature of it. I don't exactly know how to get people to even find the forum in the first place, much less actually joining and posting.
Tell your friends about it and ask them to spread the word. I've also found posting the link on other communities help. (Just make sure it's allowed)
Depending on what your forum is about another way is go to a place with some business cards. Example if your forum is about racing, you can go to speed shops, car washes, or auto part stores where if they allow you can put the card up on the corkboard near the front door. As pyridine mentioned, put a link in your signature on the other forums you visit (if it's allowed) and don't over do it when telling people on those other forums, sometimes too much and they may ban you for advertising.
Post on other Japanese fashion communities and network with other Japanese fashion lovers. Also, Tumblr has been a huge promotional tool.
How'd you get people to follow your tumblr?
Post interesting content. Tag it properly. Wait.
Your question also involves lots of SEO. Most people would say backlinks. Make sure you post the link in related places, find a similar website and make interesting comments/replies with a link to your forum at the bottom or in your sig. If you're posting on forums make sure you have an image that stands out in your sig linking to your board.