MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Make First Letter Uppercase
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2011-05-17, 06:35 AM)LeeUk Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-05-17, 02:22 AM)Time 2 Mobilize Wrote: [ -> ]as a person who commonly types in all lowercase, i would NEVER implement this mod, it's too controlling of your members. why force them to capitalize their sentences? is your forum GrammarPoliceForum.com? people like to express themselves in different ways.

different fonts
different colors
different styles
different grammar punctuation

what's next? forcing the implementation of proper semi-colon usage? on any forum i've ran, i GUARANTEE this mod would annoy way more people than it would not annoy.

In my view when people are not using decent punctuation it's just lazy, I think that my members should take the time to at least start of when a capital letter, and that they should end in a full stop. If this is to hard for them then yes this plugin is what I need.

And how would it annoy your members, are they going to be deliberty typing without using punctuation, well no of course they wont so how are they going to even notice the plugin is working, I mean you talk like they are going to riot over such a small change I cant see that happening.

i've been down this route. it annoys people. forcing people who "choose" to contribute to your website into some sort of grammar police state is not a good choice. on forums, as you can see, i type in all lowercase. not all of the time, but some of the time. i have always done it. i like it. it would annoy me, so i am speaking firsthand as well. and, no, i didn't say anything about people "rioting", i am just telling you that it's little communistic nuisances like "forcing people to capitalize the first letter of their sentences" that annoy the piss out of people. forums that do this usually also are communistic in other ways. i've spoken my two cents on it because i think it's a genuinely bad idea. not the plugin, the plugin is a good plugin in that it does what it says it will, but the implementation is a bad idea.

for instance, what if a user is trying to make a brief pseudo-outline format?

A.
a.
b.
c.

etc?

how many times has microsoft word pissed you off in your life by forcing capitalization?

me?

thousands of times...lol

people are better off with the right to choose what they want to do (freedom) be it "creative freedom" or whatever, and not being forced into a certain way of doing things. now, when i write an official letter, as a two-time college graduate (working on third time now), you can bet your sweet lime that i follow proper grammar. it's not that i don't know how, it's just that i feel as though i shouldn't be forced into contributing in an "approved" fashion on something so informal as a forum.

i don't want to derail this thread, i just wanted to share my thoughts on this being a very bad idea in most instances. so i'll move along now.

Smile

Thank you for your feedback. Smile

First off, I never said this was a must for every forum, nor that I agree with its use. This was requested by someone in this community which is how I got the idea. It certainly isn't the greatest plugin in the world, but some will find a use for it eventually.

Secondly, I'm only putting it up here. I could have kept it to myself, but no, I shared it with the rest of you. If I hadn't released this plugin, someone could be searching for this kind of functionality right now. And that someone probably wouldn't find a solution. I think the following quote from American Dad is a really good demonstration of what I'm trying to say: "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it".

Lastly, not everyone runs the typical general discussion where you're supposed to chill out and laugh. Some run completely different forums where specific functionality (such as this one) is required. Not everyone is going to need this, just like some won't need a shoutbox or an arcade in their forum.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. I respect your opinion and agree with it for the most part, but it's up to admins to choose whether they need this or not. You don't get to decide it for them. Smile
(2011-05-17, 09:47 AM)Time 2 Mobilize Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-05-17, 06:35 AM)LeeUk Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-05-17, 02:22 AM)Time 2 Mobilize Wrote: [ -> ]as a person who commonly types in all lowercase, i would NEVER implement this mod, it's too controlling of your members. why force them to capitalize their sentences? is your forum GrammarPoliceForum.com? people like to express themselves in different ways.

different fonts
different colors
different styles
different grammar punctuation

what's next? forcing the implementation of proper semi-colon usage? on any forum i've ran, i GUARANTEE this mod would annoy way more people than it would not annoy.

In my view when people are not using decent punctuation it's just lazy, I think that my members should take the time to at least start of when a capital letter, and that they should end in a full stop. If this is to hard for them then yes this plugin is what I need.

And how would it annoy your members, are they going to be deliberty typing without using punctuation, well no of course they wont so how are they going to even notice the plugin is working, I mean you talk like they are going to riot over such a small change I cant see that happening.

i've been down this route. it annoys people. forcing people who "choose" to contribute to your website into some sort of grammar police state is not a good choice. on forums, as you can see, i type in all lowercase. not all of the time, but some of the time. i have always done it. i like it. it would annoy me, so i am speaking firsthand as well. and, no, i didn't say anything about people "rioting", i am just telling you that it's little communistic nuisances like "forcing people to capitalize the first letter of their sentences" that annoy the piss out of people. forums that do this usually also are communistic in other ways. i've spoken my two cents on it because i think it's a genuinely bad idea. not the plugin, the plugin is a good plugin in that it does what it says it will, but the implementation is a bad idea.

for instance, what if a user is trying to make a brief pseudo-outline format?

A.
a.
b.
c.

etc?

how many times has microsoft word pissed you off in your life by forcing capitalization?

me?

thousands of times...lol

people are better off with the right to choose what they want to do (freedom) be it "creative freedom" or whatever, and not being forced into a certain way of doing things. now, when i write an official letter, as a two-time college graduate (working on third time now), you can bet your sweet lime that i follow proper grammar. it's not that i don't know how, it's just that i feel as though i shouldn't be forced into contributing in an "approved" fashion on something so informal as a forum.

i don't want to derail this thread, i just wanted to share my thoughts on this being a very bad idea in most instances. so i'll move along now.

Smile

But I think you misunderstand how this plugin works, the member is not told off for not adding the capital letter. The system changes it over without them even knowing about it.
I sort of requested this plugin because there were a lot of members who were starting thread titles with small letter, so in the forum index the last post column looked awkward with small & big letters, it was just a mixture of something that looked awful. If not necessary to others, this really was for me.

This is a simple plugin which you can choose (like ALL plugins) if you want to install it or not. As long as I remember, nobody is forcing you to install it.

I think this also was a privillege for favious to learn more about plugin making. Toungue
(2011-05-17, 07:13 PM)Stely Wrote: [ -> ]I think this also was a privillege for favious to learn more about plugin making. Toungue

Yes it was. Smile I've learned quite a bit while developing this.
Pages: 1 2