MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Please help me! I am stupid.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Help please!

I'm trying to start up a new discussion forum (my first time) and am a computer numpty.

I've tried my hardest to follow the instructions, but I just can't seem to start it up.

When I try to start it up I keep getting the following message:

The following errors were encountered:

* Invalid file extension

I could rectify it - if I wasn't so stupid. Someone directed me to MyBB saying it was simple to start up a forum - which must mean I'm super-simple.Blush

Could someone please help this super simple numpty?

Thank youHeart

Isabella

Could you post a screenshot of the error? I can't imagine a place where you'd see that.
I get the feeling you are trying to run the installer on your computer?
Do you have hosting and a domain name as they are the first things you need.
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your replies.

I feel sooooo embarassed! You're all right:-

I am trying to run the installer on my computer (I have Windows 7 Ultimate) - and I don't have a hosting and domain name.

I haven't got a clue what I'm doing. Someone told me that is was very easy to start a forum up on here but I don't undertand what I'm doing. It's driving me crackers!

What should I do first?

Thank you so much for replying to me!

Isabella
If you want to install it on your computer then you could install wampserver. Nobody except you will be able to access it though.

As for hosting, try ByetHost's free plan and upload MyBB via ftp. If you want a free domain try .cz.cc.

http://www.byethost.com/
http://www.nic.cz.cc/

You'll get ftp details from ByetHost which you should enter into an ftp client to transfer the files. Google FileZilla for the ftp client.
You will need a webserver to setup the forum/site on. If you just want to test it out then you can install the webserver's components on your local computer and use that. You can either install the components separately Apache/IIS, MySQL, PHP or you can use pre-packaged setups like XAMPP that will install all the required components at once.

If you plan on opening up your site/forum to the public then you will need to host the server with a webhost. You can again also use your local computer but you will be limited by your bandwidth and the number of people who will be using the forum, as traffic increases the site will become slower so better to use a host because they have more bandwidth available than home dsl.

Once you have any of the above setups you then upload the files to the webserver then open the install url to install it.
Do you have any money to invest in your forum?
If so i would buy your self a domain and some cheap hosting and start from there.