MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Disqus VS. WordBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Right now I have WordBB set up as my comment system on the blog, but I've been seeing more and more sites using disqus, and it looks like a really awesome thing, you can log in with google, twitter, facebook then your your likes accumulate over to other sites with disqus which is pretty cool IMO.

So is it better to have disqus set up as the comment system, where anybody visiting can post a comment (right now any one can post a comment but it only shows up as guest)

Or is it better to have WordBB as the comment system where comments also get posted on MyBB and MyBB posts show up on wordpress.
Umm, why are comments being copied to the forum? You'll get hit for duplicate content by search engines.

Either have a blog or don't (in other words keep users tied together but keep content separate).
I've used both. Disqus is great and all, but if you ever want to move away from them, you'll have difficulty exporting posts out of it for another system.
(2011-04-26, 02:46 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Umm, why are comments being copied to the forum? You'll get hit for duplicate content by search engines.

Either have a blog or don't (in other words keep users tied together but keep content separate).

Because the blog is being used as a portal, only news posts get posted up on there so people who want to just see recent console news can and it works fine my site still goes pretty high up on google.

And WordBB doesn't bridge users, only comments and posts.

Quote:I've used both. Disqus is great and all, but if you ever want to move away from them, you'll have difficulty exporting posts out of it for another system.
Oooo well... does it work good? Is it worth it to ditch the comments bridge to MyBB?
(2011-04-26, 03:37 PM)wethegreenpeople Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-04-26, 02:46 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Umm, why are comments being copied to the forum? You'll get hit for duplicate content by search engines.

Because the blog is being used as a portal, only news posts get posted up on there so people who want to just see recent console news can and it works fine my site still goes pretty high up on google.

And WordBB doesn't bridge users, only comments and posts.

Quote:I've used both. Disqus is great and all, but if you ever want to move away from them, you'll have difficulty exporting posts out of it for another system.
Oooo well... does it work good? Is it worth it to ditch the comments bridge to MyBB?

It does work really well. I never bridged my comments across between MyBB and WordBB (I just didn't want to), so Disqus was the best thing. There's that and IntenseDebate though. Both are similar services, but IntenseDebate is provided by automattic (the guys behind WP) and has some pretty cool features stats wise.
IntenseDebate doesn't look as cool to me as Disqus does, I was just looking trough the sites on the side that they showcase and IMHO disqus looks better.
Yeah, it is generally, but ID has good stat tracking as I mentioned Smile Overall, I'd say at least give disqus a go and see what you think of it.
I like it... the only thing though is that it makes it less like a portal and more like a blog... So now I just have to decide if I want it to be a portal or if I want it to be a blog xD

But it works nicely thanks euantor
Will IntenseDebate store your comments locally or on their system which I assume Disqus to do?

Does IntenseDebate have a link/bridge with a MyBB forum? So would I be able to have WordBB publish a thread to the forum and use the connectivity of ID (including forum profiles) to comment on the main WP side?

So, are the following links possible?
WORDPRESS ARTICLE <-> FORUM THREAD
WORDPRESS COMMENT via ID <-> FORUM THREAD
FORUM COMMENT <-> WORDPRESS ARTICLE COMMENT SECTION
No, I don't believe WordBB works that well with ID/Disqus.
Pages: 1 2