MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Newbie questions - is MyBB the right choice for my application?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I have often used bulletin boards/forums and now I want to build my own first forum. I want it to serve the teachers of a small school. The teachers are in teams and I would like to provide a private forum for each team. For example, we might have the following forums and participants:

Governers
Visible to Headmaster, Parent_A

Infant teachers
Visible to Headmaster, Teacher_A, Teacher_B

Primary teachers
Visible to Headmaster, Teacher_C, Teacher_D

I will not need to customise the look - we don't need anything fancy.

I will need email notifications. I want forum members to be able to choose to receive email notifications for any post made to a forum, not just for topics they have started. This is so that the team need not rely on each other to regularly visit the forum to check for new topics/posts. When any team member starts a new topic, or replies to a thread, all members should receive a notification. (Note: the number of posts is expected to be very small, so server load will not be an issue).

An important requirement is that each forum should be visible only to chosen individuals. Guest access should be disabled.

I am a software engineer but would like a short learning curve as I don’t have much time to spend on this task.

Will MyBB fulfill these requirements?

Is it easy to configure the security for what I require?

If you think that such a simple application as mine would be more suited to another discussion board software, please say so Smile .

We will run it on Centos 5.5.

I will be very grateful for any advice you can provide.

Best regards

David
All seems like stock functionality to me. Should be fine.
all your requirements are stock features. your requirements for email notice of new items in s forum is built-in, but please note that would a "forum subscription" and not a "thread subscription". just some clarification for you.

the security of the system is fully dependent on the sever setup.
Thanks for your replies and clarifications. Great to know that MyBB should be ok for us.

Which version of MyBB would you advise me to use?

We use Centos 5.5 and have MySql installed. Should we use MySql or does MyBB support an embedded database such as SQLLite?

BR

David
After i using PhpBB and have big issue with security and spamers,problems with automod,and with mod also i decide to leave PhPbb and convert my self to MyBB,now i fell like driving ferrari after bicycle,,,Think MyBB and SMF are best solution for Forum..
Use the latest version of MyBB, which is 1.6.3 and is automatically linked on the download page.

MyBB supports multiple DB formats: MySQL (and MySQLi PHP version), SQLLite, pgSQL as well.
Thanks very much for your help.

David
I think the learning curve for MyBB is pretty small compared to other BBs.
I picked MyBB after using
http://www.forum-software.org/ten-questi...m-software
Kinda corny, but it got me here.
Creating forums is more complicated than thought it would be, but think they all are, and theres lots of help on this forum.