MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Private Forum Threads Opened to Guests!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys

I implemented the private forum so that users could have an easier way to talk to moderators, as suggested on this thread:
http://community.mybb.com/thread-92624-post-678014.html

It happens that ALL guest users can see ALL private posts, going through the profile view and looking at the users post. Is this normal? It is definitelly a security issue for the forum.

I appreciate some help on this.
Could you post an example of a post so we can see.
You didn't adjusted the setting properly, here's a simple guide that walk you through with an easy steps;

People are confused with the options of permissions for "Private forums" in MyBB 1.6 . This small guide will walk through the easy steps to setup these permissions.

For example, if you want to make a forum as private and restrict "Registered" user group to see only there own threads within that specific forum, then Go to : ACP > Forums and Management > Select Forum > Edit > Permissions > and "Check" and "Un-check" the options below;

Permissions: for Registered User Group
Can view forum? [Ckecked]
Can view threads within forum? [Ckecked]
Can only view own threads? [Ckecked]
Can download attachments? [Ckecked]

Permissions: for Admin's and Mods
Can view forum? [Ckecked]
Can view threads within forum? [Ckecked]
Can only view own threads? [Un-Ckecked]
Can download attachments? [Ckecked]

+ Here Admins and Mods are those User Group who can see every one's thread / posts.
+ Here Registered are those User Group who can only there own created threads / posts.
I would suggest that, in the intended private forum you also edit permissions for guests, banned, awaiting activation & any other group you don't want to have access and uncheck all items in each menu.
When finished the block for the group/s that's/that are under "Overview: Allowed Actions" will be blank.
Just make the forum invisible and unsearchable for guests.
It was my fault, I had left the guest user with permission to view posts... Sorry for that...