MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Spammers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Seeing a lot of spammers on the forum lately. What is the team doing to prevent it?
FYI: Not necessarily a Captcha related issue. These days "Spam farms" use low paid humans to make new accounts.

What is the team doing to prevent it?
Well, we will find out soon. Smile
They can't do much about it.
(2011-04-29, 04:54 AM)seeker Wrote: [ -> ]FYI: Not necessarily a Captcha related issue. These days "Spam farms" use low paid humans to make new accounts.

What is the team doing to prevent it?
Well, we will find out soon. Smile
Yeah I see a lot of spam tasks in Amazon Mechanical Turk.
It is what it is I guess. Thought we had Askismet on here or something?
Unfortunately the human spammers are going to be the tough ones to combat against. There are some plugins here that would help us against them.
We remove spam posts and ban the users as soon as we find the spam.

We don't use Akismet here, as the plugin can have false-positives and we also like to keep our copy of MyBB as close to the default install (ie no plugins)
(2011-04-29, 11:48 AM)Joshua Mayer Wrote: [ -> ]no plugins
I am sure I'll find some plugins running here. Big Grin

I think we remove spam quite fast. Wink The problem is that common techniques fail (Captcha),... Even StopForumSpam can't block everything.
If you have the ultimate solution, let me know. Toungue
How many of the suspected spam accounts "Awaiting Activation?" Maybe MyBB should delete the awaiting activation accounts every 2 weeks, include a statement in the member agreement and in the activation email noting that non-activated accounts will be deleted 2 weeks from when they were created.
User that are not activated can't do anything so they are no problem. And there is a setting for removing them automatically.
I can understand wanting to keep it as close to the "real thing", but a few anti-spam measures really wouldn't hurt surely?
Pages: 1 2 3 4