MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Would you be interested in a free website/server monitoring service?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So while developing this script for personal use only, I got the idea of setting up a public service so people can track their website/server's uptime. I know there are free services already out there but most of them only do 5-15 minute monitoring from only 1 location so I was thinking of setting up 3+ servers (US East, US West, UK, and maybe US Central, NL, SE, or Asia) to do 1-3 minute monitoring which would generate e-mail alerts when the website/server goes down and then again when it comes back up. In addition, the stats will be recorded to a chart so you can track outages and such along with provide a public graph or something to share with clients and visitors of your sites.

What do you think? Viable or not? I already have 3 servers setup in various locations but I have a few more on my list already, the more servers the less chance of false alerts! Big Grin
Actually, after you posted for help with that script I was thinking of exactly the same thing Toungue

It would be useful for all types of server (web/gameserver/mail) Smile
Please tell me you have a verification in there? The one i used would spazz because the server would be stressed and you'd have to reload once in a blue moon.
How so? Verification where? You mean if the server was online but too overloaded to respond?
(2011-05-02, 08:13 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]How so? Verification where? You mean if the server was online but too overloaded to respond?

Mhm. Like don't just send a single {insert which of the thousands of methods you could use to check if i'm up here} one, send a second check to make sure it is.
Yeah, I think kujoe was planning on having it do 3 checks, so it is unlikely it will fail all three if it is online Big Grin
Each server will do 3 checks a few seconds apart and report in. I will have a minimum of 3 servers in different locations (US East and US West definitely, possibly UK for the 3rd) doing the checks so that is a total of 9 checks all together. As long as 1 server passes one of the 3 tests then it will show the server as up (I might utilize the scoring method here so if the score was 1/9 it would still pass but report "online with possible connectivity issues").

The client can customize the alerts so they can specify multiple e-mail addresses and how many failures until they are alerted and how many times they want to be alerted.
That would be a great one to have. Go for it.
It's a cool idea.
How much would you charge for this service?
(2011-05-03, 02:52 AM)lucasbytegenius Wrote: [ -> ]It's a cool idea.
How much would you charge for this service?

Quote:Would you be interested in a free website/server monitoring service?
:p
Pages: 1 2