MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Anyone try ModX recently?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've just been looking at CMS's lately and decided to try modx with revolution being out for awhile now.

I think the coolest thing ever is the Package Management system. It's just like linux. There are providers (basically repositories) and then packages(modules, themes, and what not). It even gets required packages.

Other than that though don't have much to say Toungue. Just thought it was awesome.
I've never actually tried ModX at all really. Sounds really cool though.
I've been using MODX for the past three years or so, started with Evolution.

I think if you like MyBB because it's open source, easy to customize, and easy to make it appear in the way you want to, you'll love MODX.

If you're a PHP Developer looking to build custom functionality, you'll love MODX and its very well thought-out API and System Events functionality (sort of like hooks as I think they're called in myBB) you'll love developing in MODX.

The TinyMCE rich text editor is available for html literate clients too, so it's pretty a complete package.

The only downside (for the MyBB community, that is) I can think of right now is the fact that one of the core developers is working on a native forum feature... Toungue As both systems are OS and pretty good, SSO w/ MyBB wouldn't be too hard to develop though. Or migrating wouldn't be hard either. Toungue

I don't really use these forums often (subbed to this post tho), so if you have any specific questions it's easier to find me on Twitter (@Mark_Hamstra). I just had to respond though & used MyBB in the past but forgot my login stuff.. lol
(2011-05-04, 03:30 PM)MarkH Wrote: [ -> ]I think if you like MyBB because it's open source, easy to customize, and easy to make it appear in the way you want to, you'll love MODX.

The last part is why I picked it up. Just couldn't wrap my head around drupal templating for the life of me even with starter themes. It all just felt bloated (I mean there are like 10 css files with the starter themes which made no sense to me).
Haven't used ModX since my CS days (I think the server mod was called ModX too which I found funny I was using ModX for my CMS).

I recently switched to sNews (my site powered by sNews), I like it because it consists of 2 files (not including images, CSS, and JS). It's just plain awesome. Big Grin
(2011-05-05, 01:26 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]Haven't used ModX since my CS days (I think the server mod was called ModX too which I found funny I was using ModX for my CMS).

I recently switched to sNews (my site powered by sNews), I like it because it consists of 2 files (not including images, CSS, and JS). It's just plain awesome. Big Grin

You know, i might swap PHPSQLITECMS for this. I usually use it for a home page but sNews looks very nice.
I'm a big fan of the single file scripts these days (although sNews is 2 files one is a backend only file). The Gallery I'm running on my personal site is also a single file (Single File PHP Gallery).
Well, if you're a fan of single file scripts MODX is not for you Big Grin lol. I think the latest release is about 8MB, so uploading takes some time, but you could wget the source and extract it on the server to speed that up as well.

Like sNews states on its front page & forum: you will need to have php knowledge to make things work. After you went through the Quick Start tutorial on the MODX site, you should be able of setting up your first site without issues.

The packages system makes installing extensions easy and a matter of just clicking a few buttons.

It does require a decent server as it has been built on top of PDO it will need PHP 5.1+, and it's definitely harder on the server than a one file script.
Well just made a simple theme without any real issues. And, then used packman to get it packaged up without any real issues either. Just need to upload it somewhere else to make sure I did it correctly Toungue.

Personally loving having complete control.