MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 2 forums, same database
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
dear all,

i have a general question:

can a operate 2 or more forums with the same user data?

that means i have a first forum ff on website x and, in addition i have a second forum sf on website x. someone registers in ff and can read and post. this person can also read and post in sf on the same website x.

they (ff, sf) appear to be seperate forums, but one has access to all of them without the need to register twice.

in case yes (HOW is the question??) does this also function for ff and sf on two websites: ff on website x, sf on website y. website x and y means they are under a different domain....

would be interesting :-) thx
I think, its OK
You must change the prefix_
It should not be the same in Prefix
I would also like such similar system to ensure my forum always stay online if forum 'x' goes down, theres always another hosting to replace it and make sure it keeps on running.
You could have a database running two forums with different prefixes or you could run two websites from the same database.

If you run two from the same database it will be all the same content, users, posts. If you run with different prefixes you'll have different content on each. I don't believe you can have separate forums sharing users without core file edits. I'm not even sure if those would be possible.
without a plugin (that i am not sure exists) you can not use two forums and share user info. there is a tutorial here somewhere that explains how to do a data replication between the users tables via cron and a sql script. However, when a user registers, its not an immediate mirror in the other forum and you still need to log into each one. plus PMs, and user settings are still fixed to each forum.

i am working on a plugin that will use a single forum database that will use subdomains to limit the forums displayed, change the theme based on the subdomains, etc.

its a work in progress though and i usually have other things to work on instead of that one.

(2011-05-05, 03:54 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]i am working on a plugin that will use a single forum database that will use subdomains to limit the forums displayed, change the theme based on the subdomains, etc.

its a work in progress though and i usually have other things to work on instead of that one.
Thats nice.

ok thanks so far. i guess the suggestion with the prefixes will do but nevertheless i have the fear that i will lose my forum (different styles, configuration, ... i know that backups are possible...) as i´m quite a newbie to this issue. has someone experience and can deliver a step by step (short) manual. has someone tried to run different forums, same user registrations and so on?

what do i have to do?? i guess this may be of general interest....

thx!!
by the way, which prefix do you means anyway?? the prefix for the sql configuration?? can I add an addition forum if the old one is still running??

hope someone can help
yes, if you specify a different table prefix for each install, you can run as many forums on a single database as you want. they wont share info (like user data) but they will run independently
(2011-05-05, 03:54 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]without a plugin (that i am not sure exists) you can not use two forums and share user info. there is a tutorial here somewhere that explains how to do a data replication between the users tables via cron and a sql script. However, when a user registers, its not an immediate mirror in the other forum and you still need to log into each one. plus PMs, and user settings are still fixed to each forum.

i am working on a plugin that will use a single forum database that will use subdomains to limit the forums displayed, change the theme based on the subdomains, etc.

DUDE let me know when you get that awesome thing done!! Big Grin
Pages: 1 2