MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: cURL is pretty standard, right?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
cURL is a pretty standard server feature, correct?

I am upgrading MyBBPublisher to use Facebook's GraphAPI and certain features like status updates need to be done via cURL.

Most hosts support curl (apart from x10 is I remember correctly - but you simply have to put in a ticket to get it installed)

If a host doesn't support cURL, Then you can usually request it to be enabled Smile
Yes. It has been pre-installed on every host I've used.
I'd say cURL is pretty standard, yeah. if it's not available, you can also try file_get_contents of course (unless you need one of cURL's special features, of course).

I seem to remember seeing a file fetching function in MyBB at some point. I can't remember where it was though.
thanks. its always been on all my servers, but some hosts are weird like that. i will confirm with function_exists( ) before trying to use it.
(2011-05-05, 05:30 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]I'd say cURL is pretty standard, yeah. if it's not available, you can also try file_get_contents of course (unless you need one of cURL's special features, of course).

I seem to remember seeing a file fetching function in MyBB at some point. I can't remember where it was though.

that is my problem. i need the PUT support for multiple variables. all the requests I can do without cURL, but for pushing status updates it looks like I need cURL
Ah yes. Facebook's pickiness. I've heard something along those lines before about their API services.
(2011-05-05, 05:30 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]I seem to remember seeing a file fetching function in MyBB at some point. I can't remember where it was though.

That uses cURL, or fsockopen if cURL isn't available.
i've confirmed that even the new Facebook SDK looks for cURL and throws an error if it does not exist.

I am trying to avoid using the SDk and doing it all though HTTP/S with a custom page in the Tools area of ACP. Basically install the plugin, go to the tools page and start clicking though the steps which will save the settings as you go.
(2011-05-05, 08:06 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-05-05, 05:30 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]I seem to remember seeing a file fetching function in MyBB at some point. I can't remember where it was though.

That uses cURL, or fsockopen if cURL isn't available.

Ah yes, I remember now. function fetch_remote_file(). Your saying about fsockopen helped me find it, so cheers. I've been meaning to update one of my plugins to use that instead of my own code.