MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: arggg, russian spammers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Will they kill you, if you ban them?

kgb style?
LoL, are you talking about the "скачать" *(download) spam? I hate it too.
nope. i'm talking about all of the members to my forum being named sergai and vladimir and spamming the crap out of my forum. when i run the IP's, it always says "Russian Federation".

my forum is targetted exclusively at a u.s.a. audience. i need to ban the rest of earth.

any ideass?
Do you have mod_geoip installed? If so it's really simple to do. Wink
tell me more... lol
Add this to your .htaccess file:
SetEnvIf GEOIP_COUNTRY_CODE US AllowCountry
SetEnvIf GEOIP_COUNTRY_CODE CA AllowCountry
SetEnvIf GEOIP_COUNTRY_CODE AU AllowCountry
SetEnvIf GEOIP_COUNTRY_CODE GB AllowCountry
SetEnvIf GEOIP_COUNTRY_CODE UK AllowCountry

Deny from all
Allow from env=AllowCountry

<Files 403.shtml>
order allow,deny
allow from all
</Files>

This is the code I use to whitelist certain countries. Using the script above only people with IPs from the US, Canada, United Kingdom/Great Britain, and Australia can access the site. All others are shown an error 403 (Forbidden).

I wrote a whole blog entry on this last year if you want to read more: http://jmd.cc/servers/whitelistblacklist...y-country/
i shall read it!

but what about ip spoofing and proxies?

do you have a method for that as well?
Nope, most of the bots don't use them. There are methods for preventing proxies but I've never had to worry about it but I can provide you some more information on it if you want.
i was reading your article. seems like a good idea to deal with unwanted traffic. other than a 403, i like the idea of redirecting to something useless. lol. that way it's trickier and they may not realize they've even been blocked.

i don't know how putin would feel about this though.
LoL yeah, I did that once to redirect certain countries to a special YTMND page. Big Grin
Redirect them to this: http://deadspammer.ytmnd.com/
Pages: 1 2 3 4