MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Updates -- Manual patches don't apply bug fixes and such??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok so I heard that doing the manual patch for the updates doesn't fix the bugs and upgrades of existing files like how 1.6.3 expands the Javascript libraries to make it more compatible with IE9.

I do manual patches because I have edited some of my core mybb files to my customization and I don't want to just replace all the files with new ones because then I'll lose my custom code edits in those files....I just do the manual patch and I know what code goes where.

What would I do in case mybb 2.0 comes out or something? I have to make a new forum??? Sad
MyBB 2 has a completely different codebase.
(2011-05-07, 05:00 AM)zero_coke Wrote: [ -> ]Ok so I heard that doing the manual patch for the updates doesn't fix the bugs and upgrades of existing files like how 1.6.3 expands the Javascript libraries to make it more compatible with IE9.

Patches are only meant to resolve security issues until you can fully upgrade your forum via the changed files package. I know a few people who manually apply the bug fixes too by following issues on the bug tracker.

You could make your own "changed files" package in the sense that you download it, then make your custom edits to the files affected. This means you'll need to catalogue all your edits to be sure you get them all.

As for 2.0, everyone will practically be starting from scratch - but 1.6 will still be supported for a long while after it.
(2011-05-07, 11:30 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]As for 2.0, everyone will practically be starting from scratch

Well, keeping your data still!! Toungue

(2011-05-07, 05:00 AM)zero_coke Wrote: [ -> ]What would I do in case mybb 2.0 comes out or something? I have to make a new forum??? Sad

It entirely depends what edits you've made. You'll be able to upgrade your forum to 2.0 like any other upgrade, but as the codebase will be totally different, you'll need to rework whatever edits you've made.
Yeah and if 2.0 came out most plugins wouldn't work either Confused

Arrghh...I hate this upgrading jazz...now I'm stuck...to update or not to update...I don't know if I should replace the files....do the 'new' files have the security patches?
The security fixes will be in any update we release, whether you use the full package, the changed files package, or manual edits, you'll get security fixes. If you make a note of what edits you make to files, upgrading would be a lot easier, as you'd be able to make any changes you've made again afterwards.
if you find all your edits, record them. then go ahead and install the Patches plugin and apply the edits that way.

using this plugin you can upgrade as normal, verify your patches still apply via code check or other simple method and then apply them with a simple mouse click.
Which plugin?