MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Ajax chat overloading server?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

I've used Ajax Chat ( http://www.blueimp.net/ajax ) on my forum for ages.

But recently, it will randomly shut down my whole site... I know this because I personally know the guy who runs the server and each time he tells me its caused by the chat.

When this first happened I moved the chat to a new directory. After a few seconds the site came up... I figured I caused something to go wrong with the code, so I did a fresh install, then added my usual mods ( smilies, theme, and name ) it seemed to work fine... but after an hour or two the site was down again because of the chat.

So my site has been using the crappy Xat free chat for a few days now...

Does anyone have any idea of whats going wrong here? There is no error code or anything, the whole site just shuts down, like if it were to be DoSed.

Any help would be great...

-Ps if anyone wants links to my site, I'd rather do it through pm.
Chat systems typically eat bandwidth lime there's no tomorrow. If you have a fair few people using the chat, all your bandwidth will be used up very quickly. That's why it's usually advised not to use a chat system if possible Smile
Ah, so you think there is no error in the chat code itself? Thank god... I was about to hire a coder to fix the problem....

The problem is... My forum is very social driven, so it NEEDS a chat.

Any ideas you can give me to fix this problem?
Not really. Are you on shared hosting? If so, how many users do you get online at once (on average)? It may be time to move to bigger hosting. You could also try setting up an IRC channel instead.
Wait! Yes thats it!!

I just started building a new site on the same account, so the bandwidth must be overloaded from everything!

And eh, I'm not a fan of IRC ^^; Thanks for your help dude, I'll post if I can get this working!
Or, you could purchase a separate VPS and a domain and host your Chat on there (so it is then separate from your main site), but it might be expensive.
(2011-05-08, 03:20 PM)Shukaku Wrote: [ -> ]Or, you could purchase a separate VPS and a domain and host your Chat on there (so it is then separate from your main site), but it might be expensive.

The cheapest I know is only $2.99
Get a irc channel and use something like http://qwebirc.org/. It still uses ajax but since it uses irc I would imagine it would lower the stress on the server.
Well, I went with the ET chat... Though I don't like it as much as Ajax chat by blueimp...

I was talking to my server admin, and he knows it wasn't the bandwidth... So something is wrong with the code causing it to bug out.

Anyway, I think I might stick with ET, but if I could figure out the problem with Ajax, I'd think about going back to it.