MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Coop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I feel sort of odd bring this up, considering that I would not be part of this. And I see as many cons as pros. But what the heck,

There are a slew of forums out there with MyBB as their topic (mods, themes, plugins, etc.) and almost no traffic. Has anyone ever tried making a MyBB coop. What I'm thinking is existing MyBB resource forums could join forces on one forum A category could be made for each person who wants to have a site within this site. The category would be their own forum name. Sort of like a department store or a farmers market.

Of course, I can see a lot of cons. Lots of us want to have our own site with our own custom theme, and this would not be it. Who would have their site as the first one on the list. It might be hard to coordinate and decide who can be in the coop. Would there be subscriptions.

Hmmm. Maybe this is a bad idea. But maybe someone can make it work, so I thought I'd mention it.
Do you mean have their own subforum on Mybb.com? Because that would make it too cluttered.
I understand perfectly what you're saying, but the truth is that 99% of the forums die out after a year anyway. It's a sad fact, but it's true as many people open a site, have very little content, then lose interest very quickly. We see it all the time not just for MyBB orientated forums, but all forums in general.

If it was done properly and the people in the "cooP" were responsible and committed, it could work. Otherwise, it wouldn't stand a chance.
(2011-05-11, 09:22 AM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]If it was done properly and the people in the "cooP" were responsible and committed, it could work. Otherwise, it wouldn't stand a chance.

You are right. They would have to be "responsible and committed." The one advantage I see is there would be more staff driving traffic, and the traffic of each one would help the others. OTOH, I can also see a potential for hard feelings.

Anyway, I need to say again that I can't set this up. It's just that I see some good people at these other sites but no traffic. And this idea came to mind so I posted it.
(2011-05-11, 07:50 AM)Kolton T. Wrote: [ -> ]Do you mean have their own subforum on Mybb.com? Because that would make it too cluttered.

No. I mean some place else. Maybe several of the small sites could get together in one new site.

I have already created a few sites similar to this, one for promoting MyBB ressources sites of different languages (MyBBCenter.com) and another one for MyBB authors (MyBBZone.com) that is not fully completed. I could integrate something for all kind of MyBB forums, organised in categories, and create a plugin for checking if the forums are active or not.

For this I would need the commitment of some serious moderators to get rid of spammers that would take advantage of such site. To help in filtering and avoid spam, i could integrate Proxies rejection and country blocking.

If I see enough interest for such a refering site, I could create the specific section for it in MyBBTalk.com, MyBBZone.com or MyBBCenter.com, I could also create a plugin for those sites for accessing statistics of all their forums and show them in a section for the most active, the one having the greater number of members, threads, posts, reputation, etc. A promotional section could also be installed...

This could be a great project, with a good team and properly moderated... Wink
Yeah, uhm, about your site: http://mybbcenter.com/showthread.php?tid...142#pid142

"Ryan Gordon is a bully and a poor coder". Not exactly a great image - especially when you state "MyBB have become a community run by kids and for kids, i really do not know how they can have the slightiest hope to get investors interested in them! For sure they lost me, now i will not invest in their community forever".
Lol XD

exdiogene Wrote:He also told me with a very pretentious attitude how much of a developper he was, like if what he told me was impressive. I can tell that it was not impressive at all!

exdiogene Wrote:I was not the only good software developper to leave their childish community

Seems like you're just like him then.

exdiogene Wrote:many other good developpers left because mostly of the staff and secondly because of the immature nature of their forums
so posting a rant on your forum (where it is difficult for them to retaliate) after a dispute you had with someone on a different forum is not immature?

ONTOPIC: it would be difficult to setup a site because so many want to make their own. They want their own ads to be displayed, to admin their own forums etc...
(2011-05-11, 04:48 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]ONTOPIC: it would be difficult to setup a site because so many want to make their own. They want their own ads to be displayed, to admin their own forums etc...

... and cash in on premium/registered/vip whatever users without having to share.
If anyone is interested I will do this with someone...
What about the mod site? Smile People tend to forget that exists. If people don't want to contribute their work to the community, it's their choice and they shouldn't get any more attention imho.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5