MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Prevent links to externally hosted images?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Is there a way to prevent users from including externally hosted images in their posts? I want all of my photography forum users to upload their images as attachments, to prevent issues with broken Flickr feeds and the like from destroying the viewing experience.

Thanks,

John
With this plugin you can disallow some or all usergroups globally or only in some forums to post images using the [img ]-tag. Maybe that works for you?
Thanks! I am going to download it and try it out right now... Smile
Ok, I can see how this solves half of my problem because I can ban people from using the [img] code but I cannot ban members from using the [url] code to link to an image on say Flickr, without also banning people from posting generalised links, which I don't want to do. Does anyone have a solution to this or will I just have to ask my mods to manually remove links to externally hosted images?
(2011-05-13, 04:23 PM)Johnasc Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, I can see how this solves half of my problem because I can ban people from using the [img] code but I cannot ban members from using the [url] code to link to an image on say Flickr, without also banning people from posting generalised links, which I don't want to do. Does anyone have a solution to this or will I just have to ask my mods to manually remove links to externally hosted images?

Well, your initial request was to prevent images from being included because they expand your forum.

But why exactly don't you want to have links to flickr or other services? Hosting everything yourself will generate a lot of bandwidth usage, especially with photographs. You are going to need a pretty big hosting once your site will be getting busy. Most people don't want users to add attachments because they take up space and valuable bandwidth.
(2011-05-13, 05:25 PM)Aries-Belgium Wrote: [ -> ]Well, your initial request was to prevent images from being included because they expand your forum.

That wasn't the reason I gave for my request Big Grin

(2011-05-13, 05:25 PM)Aries-Belgium Wrote: [ -> ]But why exactly don't you want to have links to flickr or other services? Hosting everything yourself will generate a lot of bandwidth usage, especially with photographs. You are going to need a pretty big hosting once your site will be getting busy. Most people don't want users to add attachments because they take up space and valuable bandwidth.

I am less concerned about hosting & bandwidth costs and more concerned about preserving the integrity of member's contributions so that the forum does not become polluted with broken links as people move their externally hosted content around... this is a problem on all the photography forums I use.