MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How do you do a DCMA?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just wondering how you do a DCMA.
You find out who is hosting the website: http://whoishostingthis.com
You contact the host via their Contact Us form, with a link to the offending site, making sure you include what the website has stolen.

That's it.
Don't send DCMA's first. Always start with a starting PM or email. CC the host.

It should be somethign like this.

Hi,

My name is XXX from XXX. I notice you are using material of which you do not own the interlectual property to. Could i ask you to please either use citations, or remove the said material. Here is the orginal links to my creative work, of which is being infringed on:

XXX
XXX
XXX

I hope we can work this out without further action.
No, it should be more like this.
Hello,
Please either add the copyright or take that theme off the website <url> before I come and have to have a smack down with my frying pan!

Regards,
<name here>

Try to be nice though, that works better than raging at them with a frying pan. But make sure you are firm too, or else they won't care. Toungue If mine doesn't work, go with Mark's DMCA. ^_^
Thats not a DCMA. Thats a first notice. NEVER send a DCMA without a first notice. Makes more enemies then friends.
I just want to make it clear it's DMCA ( Digital Millennium Copyright Act ) unless you're speaking of something else. Contact a lawyer for a properly written notice.
I think Mark and the others just got confused Smile anyway, I assume it's been sent by now (this thread is 12 days old) Toungue
(2011-05-12, 07:23 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]Thats not a DCMA. Thats a first notice. NEVER send a DCMA without a first notice. Makes more enemies then friends.

Yes because making friends that steal your work is something everyone should do. Dodgy

Instead send a nice email like this:

"Hey buddy, you're using my work without my permission. I'm sure you did so accidentally but could you please do me a favor and remove my material you stole."

F that. I send DMCA. They can take it down after their host suspends them.
(2011-05-29, 04:35 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-05-12, 07:23 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]Thats not a DCMA. Thats a first notice. NEVER send a DCMA without a first notice. Makes more enemies then friends.

Yes because making friends that steal your work is something everyone should do. Dodgy

Instead send a nice email like this:

"Hey buddy, you're using my work without my permission. I'm sure you did so accidentally but could you please do me a favor and remove my material you stole."

F that. I send DMCA. They can take it down after their host suspends them.

You quite unlike most though, you have the knowledge evade most repercussions that can come.
Why pay the money to have it removed when you could simply send a nasty message telling them to remove it.
Pages: 1 2