MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Allow only one registration per IP?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can this be done via ACP or do I need a plugin for this? I was looking through ACP settings and it allows more than 1 registration every 24 hours so do I just put a ridiculously large number for "time in between registration" or is there another way to prevent users to sign up from the same IP address?
You could just set the value to something like 9999999999999999, which is a very long time
Yeah I could but then I don't want an integer overflow in case the value is stored in an integer and another thing is that the message:

"You could only register every 999999999999999999999999999999 hours" is not very appealing so I'd rather have it display "You can only register once with your IP".
You could just set it to something like 20 years, then edit the language variable to "You can only register once with your IP"
Yeah that makes more sense. Now I have to find the file that displays that message..hmm i wonder where it is...

edit: yep, in inc/languages/english/member.php

thanks all Smile
No, no, no. Just do this:

ACP -> Board Settings -> User Registration and Profile Options

and then change this setting to 1:

Maximum Registrations Per IP Address
This option allows you to set the maximum amount of times a certain user can register within the timeframe specified above.
Yeah notice how it says:

This option allows you to set the maximum amount of times a certain user can register within the timeframe specified above.

It'll let the user register after that "time" has elapsed, so I put 999999 for that time and edited the language file to display something else other than "You can only register once every 999999 hours" because that doesn't look good lol. I put "You can't register more than once on this IP."