MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MotionForums
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: logowl.png]

I just finished making my forum.

I will be looking for Staff in the near future, but not right at this second.
Let me know what you think of the theme/logo setup, or anything to do with the forum in general.

It is a forum with no main mind set, so pretty much anything goes for discussions, and topics. If you like is please do sign up and show your friends it!

Thanks
- kiLzeD
1) Get a better domain
2) Get a topic/direction - there are thousands of general discussion boards, it's a saturated niche.
3) Get content - nobody will sign up to an empty site. Create a few accounts and get a discussion going
4) I'm sure I've heard your slogan somewhere....
Theme is bad.
>Create a few accounts and get a discussion going
That is differently the wrong way to get a community going. Just stick with your Administrator account/default account and create new discussions. Don't create fake users, it's never good.

Good start, but I would change a few things if it was me.
1. Get better buttons for your navigation.
2. Fix the alignment on your tabs
3. Fix the alignment of the text on your top thead.
4. Reduce the number of categories/add more content to remaining categories.
5. Try to focus more on one niche, being so broad will decrease your appeal to everyone.

Again, just what I would do.
the name is very close to these people:
http://www.forumotion.com/
not sure if that will be an issue or not
(2011-05-15, 05:15 PM)Richard Wrote: [ -> ]>Create a few accounts and get a discussion going
That is differently the wrong way to get a community going. Just stick with your Administrator account/default account and create new discussions. Don't create fake users, it's never good.

I absolutely don't agree. You need to have some discussion going to engage the audience, not 200 empty threads. I wouldn't join a forum where the only active member is the admin. Male fake accounts, but don't let people know they are fake and you'll be fine Smile
(2011-05-18, 01:19 AM)shovenose Wrote: [ -> ]the name is very close to these people:
http://www.forumotion.com/
not sure if that will be an issue or not

There won't be any issue, unless you steal its name like forumotion.net or something like that. This is much different. Words are different and the TLD too.

(2011-05-18, 06:26 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-05-15, 05:15 PM)Richard Wrote: [ -> ]>Create a few accounts and get a discussion going

I absolutely don't agree. You need to have some discussion going to engage the audience, not 200 empty threads. I wouldn't join a forum where the only active member is the admin. Male fake accounts, but don't let people know they are fake and you'll be fine Smile

I agree with Tom. There is absolutely no problem in making fake accounts untill you get caught. There is much better alternative for this. Do post exchange with other forum admins in promotion forums.
An empty forum will drive visitors away. You have way too many forums than necessary.
- 2 members. 31 guests in 15 minutes.

Quote:The server is too busy at the moment.

Please reload this page few seconds later.

I think that says enough.
I'd change the theme. That theme I think is very "unprofessional" and rather ugly. Also, you're a small site bro so you really don't need the tab mod installed yet. It's one of the most common mistakes people make, installing the tab mod when there's no content. You should ideally not have that many sections yet and no tabs, that way it looks smaller but more compact. So I highly suggest deleting a lot of unused sections and generalizing the forums.

Is it just me that isn't a fan of those particular tabs anyway? The only tabs I like are the instant tabs from Labrocca. Those tabs are quite slow and separated I think. My opinion though. Anyway, I've noticed your niche is sort of a "general" niche right? With random subjects where people can opt into and start discussions. Those general forums are way too popular and unfortunately I highly doubt you're going to break into that niche. So I recommend focusing the forums around a main point. For example my site (marketforums) is focused around the marketplace. Runegear is focused around Runescape. Hack forums is focused on hacking. MyBB Extras is focused on MyBB/Plugins etc.

Last thing I'd suggest is promoting it with competitions. I don't think these threads are going to cut it. Members are going to need a reason to join, and unless your niche is rare and offers a lot of help/product, I don't think they'll be identifying any reason to join. Pay2Post and Post2Host contests are good. Make fake users, start random discussions that also works, but don't make it obvious.

Hope this helped.
Your forum design is good but if you don't mind then may I suggest few changes Toungue

1: Your forum offers very minimal amount of categories. Add more categories & topics.

2: Chat is not a good idea in the forums as users gets distracted by the chat & thus you have less users posting on the actual forums.

3: Make few newbie accounts and start posting so users can see that you hav active users. No body can be more active then you since your are the admin.

4: Invite your friends to start the discussion.

Then watch your forums going up Toungue Good Luck.
Pages: 1 2