MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [Suggest] Official MyBB Plugins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I personally wouldn't mind seeing certain features offered as official plugins rather than core features, such as the calendar. Other than that, idk. Most other features don't need to be official and the team should focus on the core system instead of small little plugins.
IMO a plugin team would be nice, too keep up some core plugins like the wiki bridge, and dare a say a CMS bridge? Apart from that the rest is already there, you just have to look.
I think this would just mean other developers with similar plugins would get pushed out, like with the official Twitter apps etc. New users would just automatically use the one that has 'official' stamped on it and not give the others a second look. The community make great plugins already. We're not going to waste time writing things like shoutboxes when, not only do they detract from the point of having a forum in the first place, but there's already plenty of them. Big official modules like downloads etc is something we've sort of discussed, but if that ever happened it'd be for 2.0, and even if it did happen, the forum would obviously still be the main focus.
(2011-05-15, 05:59 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]IMO a plugin team would be nice, too keep up some core plugins like the wiki bridge, and dare a say a CMS bridge? Apart from that the rest is already there, you just have to look.

Maybe we should have a bridge team, to keep up with the releases of other software. I mean, we have a merge team/developer Toungue

Think about how long it took for a tapatalk bridge/plugin. If we had a team dedicated to bridges we could probably bring in a fair few users purely looking for a forum to "add to" their blog/cms/site/insertsoftwarenamehere
What if some existing good free plugin developers became "official" plugin developers? That way the community gets official plugins, and everyone keeps doing what they are currently doing, just with some different titles.
(2011-05-15, 09:24 PM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]What if some existing good free plugin developers became "official" plugin developers? That way the community gets official plugins, and everyone keeps doing what they are currently doing, just with some different titles.

I think that could work
(2011-05-15, 09:24 PM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]What if some existing good free plugin developers became "official" plugin developers? That way the community gets official plugins, and everyone keeps doing what they are currently doing, just with some different titles.

Something like this is being implemented into the new Mods section of mybb.com I believe.

There is one 'official' plugin I have an idea for but that'll depend on what the team says.

You guys are all missing the whole idea. Every post before this was "zomg they wont make that orange!". Your missing the point. I simply asked if there was going to be a some official plugins built by the mybb team (maybe they could hire a plugin team). That can be provided with the forum software as a alternative add-on. A download system etc would be nice without the dependency on other people as the staff would have an official plugin that's up to date and 100% compatible with every release. A shoutbox isn't a chat box and if you think it is then you just facepalmed. Its quite crucial to several forum communities for quick support etc from other members without spamming up the forums with questions. Im not asking them to make ANYTHING, I rather make it myself. I was making a suggestion for those who use the forum software who lack php, js, etc knowledge. Also they don't need to push out the little guy. They don't need to make a lot of plugins. Just ones crucial to most communities. Maybe they can even create a premium service where donators or something are eligible for these plugins only. That way people who want them will pay and help support MyBB, the others who don't always has the communities submitted plugins to use freely.
Quote:Just ones crucial to most communities.

The thing is that there's nothing "crucial" to any forums. MyBB creates the forum software for folks to use, they have made it so anyone can create their own "plug ins/mods/themes" etc. to go with it, it's not up to them to add anything else to it! You say "crucial to most communities", that's just it, they may be "crucial" but not essential, hence the reason why MyBB doesn't get involved with such requests.

According to what your asking, how would anyone determine what would be "crucial" for a forum, that hasn't already been added?
(2011-06-17, 01:29 AM)Warmonger Wrote: [ -> ]Its quite crucial to several forum communities for quick support etc from other members without spamming up the forums with questions.

I thought that was usually the point of forums in the first place, no? Not spam, but actual discussions. Why post when you can shout? And of course, we all know post count is everything and shout count is completely irrelevant.
Pages: 1 2 3