MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SMF1 to MyBB is too slow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Looking at moving our medium sized forum from YaBB to MyBB. Obviously no converter, so using SMF 1.1.13 as intermediate.

The problem I'm getting is the importing the posts. I am trying to import 1.1m posts, and I'm not even importing 25,000 in a 24hr period. That means import will be over 40 days... ...thats not going to be feasible if/when we do it for real!

Admittedly, the server we are using for the database isn't huge - 2.4G Xeon with a couple of cores, 1Gb RAM. Its seems the import is hanging off one thread in MySQL, as got one core hammered, other one idle.

Just dumped my SMF database and uploaded it to a shared hosting provider, Dreamhost, and trying to run it from there, but fairing no better (considerably worse actually, based on initial import speeds).

Any ideas, or is it just a slow, not-yet-perfected script?
Depending your desktop, have you tried convertiting locally? If you know anyone with a powerhouse machine it might be able to do it.

Where are you stuck right now? to SMF or to MyBB?
(2011-05-15, 07:53 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]Depending your desktop, have you tried convertiting locally? If you know anyone with a powerhouse machine it might be able to do it.

Where are you stuck right now? to SMF or to MyBB?

Its the SMF to MyBB thats causing the trouble. The conversion from YaBB to SMF took around 4-5hrs - I imagined the SMF to MyBB would have been quicker, as not having to thrash the filesystem to within an inch of its life Toungue

Quickest machine here is a Core2 quad, but as far as I can see, the converter only seems to be using a single thread? So throwing more cores at it isn't helping...
By nature we cannot control whether your PHP installation & webserver are multi-threaded, however I've converted a 250,000 post board and it only took about 2 hours. So, something is obviously wrong. In the end however it is very hard to support a multi-board conversion like this, since it is possibly data corruption caused by the first conversion that causes the issue in the second.
(2011-05-15, 08:29 PM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]By nature we cannot control whether your PHP installation & webserver are multi-threaded, however I've converted a 250,000 post board and it only took about 2 hours. So, something is obviously wrong. In the end however it is very hard to support a multi-board conversion like this, since it is possibly data corruption caused by the first conversion that causes the issue in the second.
As far as I can tell, the conversion to SMF looks fine and uncorrupted - I've been testing SMF as well as a replacement for YaBB.

Wanted to try MyBB, due to its performance claims, but any conversion taking 40+ days is obviously unfeasible Sad
(2011-05-15, 08:29 PM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]By nature we cannot control whether your PHP installation & webserver are multi-threaded
I'm a bit new to PHP, as my site traditionally needed Perl. But I though PHP didn't multitask anyway.

I am trying this on my own server, so if there are any PHP settings that would help, that would be great

I honestly can't remember right now if PHP can be multi-threaded or not, but I know Apache webserver can.

Regardless, I really don't think that would help in this case. You say its stalling on 1 thread's posts? I'd need to see the SMF version of said thread.

Also, is it just being slow, or is it actually stalling on a post and not progressing?
It is not stalling, its just desperately slow - managing about 25,000 posts in a 24hr period. I am trying to migrate 1.1 million.

The mysqldump of the SMF database is 1.3Gb
I have abandonned those imports (had 2 running on different servers, same issue).

I have set up a test YaBB site, imported my live data in, run all the YaBB maintenence tools over it to ensure everything is fine there.

Currently importing that into SMF1, been running an hour, suspect it has about another 30mins to go at the current rate.

I shall then run all the SMF maintenence tools over that, then retry the conversion to MyBB.

I shall keep you updated on progress... ...but I need a total import time in the region of hours, not days (or weeks, judging by first attempts Toungue) to make this feasible.
I understand, but without seeing the actual data we cannot really help you.
(2011-05-16, 12:44 PM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]I understand, but without seeing the actual data we cannot really help you.
What are you suggesting? You need a copy of the mysqldump from smf1? Or you need something else?
To start a URL to the SMF forum would be good Wink
An Admin Account on it would be better
And best would be all of that plus FTP and phpMyAdmin access so I can look (along with you pointing out exactly which thread you're seeing thats really slow)
Pages: 1 2 3