MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New Forum New Beginning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2011-05-16, 07:48 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]But, if I only want to talk about cars I think a forum dedicated cars would probably provide a better solution. Instead of someone who came for love and happened to see I'm having an issue with my car.

True, but what if a visitor finds a general discussion forum because there is a topic about cars, clicks around and likes what he/she sees?

You'll get the car hits, and with some luck they like the rest of what you have to offer. Most people have more than 1 interest.

The largest 'forum' in the world seems to be a General Discussion one.

While not exactly a facebook, people's wall and newsfeed bare resemblance to their tabled and categorized counter-parts. I can see a Facebook newsfeed or wall as being one cluster of table-less and uncategorized general dicussion board.
(2011-05-16, 07:41 AM)Disturbed Wrote: [ -> ]Lets say you have a forum about cars. Most visitors will find your site by googling something about cars.

Lets say you have a general discussion forum with topics about cars, love, news, etc. You're likely to attract a much broader audience through google searches. imho.

This isn't how Google works at all dude. You're not going to attract anyone this way. A forum specifically about cars is going to rank MUCH higher on a search for "cars".
@Disturbed your forum is an exception because you allow guest posting. Most boards don't.
Uncontrol is right. You would get a higher position on Google if your forum was specifically about cars than if you just had one forum for it (and I'm assuming you do have one forum for it because you told the OP not to have too many sub-forums). A niche forum about cars will be one hundred times more focused than a general forum. Most people don't want to talk about cars, food, and their feelings; they just want to talk about damn cars.
Well I might do car's or something tech-wise but anyone want to buy this forum off me? I am currently accepting all offers. Smile
Nobody here will buy that forum, because that person will just be denied support for having it.
Don't be so sure I have had offers before.
(2011-05-16, 08:23 PM)AXVIS Wrote: [ -> ]Don't be so sure I have had offers before.

Then contact them....
(2011-05-16, 03:45 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-05-16, 07:41 AM)Disturbed Wrote: [ -> ]Lets say you have a forum about cars. Most visitors will find your site by googling something about cars.

Lets say you have a general discussion forum with topics about cars, love, news, etc. You're likely to attract a much broader audience through google searches. imho.

This isn't how Google works at all dude. You're not going to attract anyone this way. A forum specifically about cars is going to rank MUCH higher on a search for "cars".

Of course a forum about a specific subject is likely to get more hits from google than me. But i do get them too. Some people actually look past the first page of results.. Also, sometimes other sites link to a topic, which sometimes gave some threads a pagerank of 2 even..

The frontpage (full of threads) has a PR2 at the moment. Threads are indexed fast, and show up on google fast. Lots of visitors find us through google if there is something major happening somewhere around the world (fukushima for example) The same can happen with threads about other topics. Also if a certain topic reaches 15-20 pages or more even, It is a lot of info on one topic in one place (at least that's how google seems to treat it.

Unless you have a growing and busy general forum yourself, i don't think you even have the slightest clue about how google works for such a forum.
Pages: 1 2 3