MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Restoring a Truncated File ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can any body suggest how to restore a Truncated file ? The reason I asked because I wrote a Plugin last night, it was almost finished just testing it with different usernames and editing some of its codes, suddenly the voltage slows down and my computer shutdown. When I restart the system the plugin file truncated.

I searched it on microsoft, googling around but nothing found so far. Problem is I didn't have any Restoring Point in the system as well so as to Restore back to that date. Sad

Thanks.
If it didn't save, then there's no way to restore it.
Yes, I had saved it. I always use CTRL + S to save the files once after I wrote something in there.
Linux:
strings /dev/harddisk | grep -C 1024 "significant_code_line_here"

Will print 1024 lines before and after the significant code line found, which may or may not be what you are looking for. If you know you had more / fewer lines than 1024, increase / decrease the value accordingly.

If it finds something, simply copy & paste the code into a new file. It will takes ages though since it reads your entire hard disk.
Try using Recuva, you might find the file in there.
2 Solutions :
1- Use an hexadecimal viewer and maybe you could recover the end of the sector of your plugin.
2- With a disk recovery utility you could find the last sector of your plugin and hope that the next sectors would contain the rest of it. Or if you remember a keyword in the missing part you could make a search for it, but be prepared for a long waiting during the search...

Good luck!

P.S. I have coded a binary utility to do this for FAT disk system a long time ago, it would be of no use for a NTFS system. I also did a NTFS viewer more than 10 years ago and used it just a few times, it is not available for redistribution...

P.P.S. DiskExplorer for NTFS could be used for this.