MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Case sensitive?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
are passwords & usernames Case sensitive using mybb forums?
A few of my members are having issues and i'm trying to see if this could be it.
Usernames are not case sensitive. Passwords are.
They are both case sensitive. Consider the username "admin" and the password "test123". If I logged in with either "Admin" or "Test123" it would throw out an incorrect username/password combination error. You must use the login information precisely.
(2011-05-18, 10:23 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]They are both case sensitive. Consider the username "admin" and the password "test123". If I logged in with either "Admin" or "Test123" it would throw out an incorrect username/password combination error. You must use the login information precisely.

I use lower case for my user name all the time when logging in and officially its upper case in the DB

passwords are case sensitive though
That's not correct. I can login with Spazmatic and my password or spazmatic and my password. It doesn't matter, just with the password.

Try it
Wow, I did not know this. My apologies. Doesn't make much sense to me though.
Yeah it doesn't make much sense. And no problem Smile Sorry if I sounded rude while explaining it.
case-insensitive usernames is not a big deal. It would be far too confusing to allow one person to have Spazmatic and another have spazmatic and a third have SpAzMaTiC.

However, for security purposes to have the ability for complex passwords and max security, case-sensitive is the only way to go.
Usernames are case-sensitive (or not) based on the database settings. By default, strings in MySQL are case-insensitive.
that may be the case, but MyBB compares the lower case versions of the username in the DB to the lower case version of the username provided at login/registration.

So technically the username case-sensitivity is DB dependent, but for MyBB it is not.
Pages: 1 2