MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Features?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've started making a website using SMF v1.1.13, and while all is going well, its lacking a few key features, and thus, I have become rather tempted to switch to a different forum software. So far, its come down to IPB or MyBB, with a stronger lean towards MyBB, because its free, and the Admin CP looks very simple to use, though while looking through the features list, and prying around the site for a little while, I was unable to fully confirm it has all the features I was looking for. So, I've decided to ask in the forums to see if any of you know. :]

For starters, I want to be able to use HTML in my posts and replies. I saw there was an addon for this, but I wasn't sure the extent of codes it would allow me to use. I'm rather heavy on using DIVs and Table codes, so does anyone know if those are included? There was a similar addon for SMF, but it did not include these codes, and was rather limited. Another thing SMF did not have included was the ability to make multiple accounts using the same email address, unless you bypassed it with a 'trick', that could lead to security issues. So, I'm also wondering if you can make more than one account with the same email address on MyBB.

For now, those are my two major concerns. Any other comments to persuade me to make the switch would be much appreciated, as I am rather reluctant when it comes to changing and making decisions. Blush
Yes, MyBB has a setting to enable HTML in sections that you specify.
It also has the option to allow registrations with multiple email accounts Smile
By all means, switch to MyBB, you'll be glad you did.
What exactly are you trying to post that can't be done with bbcode? I mean if you really need to use divs in posts themselves you probably don't need a forum but a CMS.
(2011-05-20, 03:28 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]What exactly are you trying to post that can't be done with bbcode? I mean if you really need to use divs in posts themselves you probably don't need a forum but a CMS.

Maybe he's a web developer?
Thanks, lucas. Big Grin I think MyBB is really starting to pull me towards it. lol.

Quote:What exactly are you trying to post that can't be done with bbcode? I mean if you really need to use divs in posts themselves you probably don't need a forum but a CMS.

Well, in all honesty, I just prefer using HTML over BBC, as I'm more familiar with how to use HTML/CSS, and its pretty safe to assume that my targetted potential members will be, too. Half the time BBC just seems more complicated than it really has to be, or rather, complicated in its simplicity? I'm not doing anything too special with the HTML, though. In fact, the DIVs that I use are mainly just for alignment and style, instead of using p and font tags. On the forums that I'm a member of, and would like to make, a popular form of character representation is using an image table to make their posts in. Its just a lot easier to pull off using HTML. -shrugs- I know it can be done with BBC code, as I've seen it done, but its more of a hassle, with less ways to modify it. If its confusing, I could probably link some examples of what I mean for you, I'd just have to scrounge around for a bit.
(2011-05-20, 03:46 AM)lucasbytegenius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-05-20, 03:28 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]What exactly are you trying to post that can't be done with bbcode? I mean if you really need to use divs in posts themselves you probably don't need a forum but a CMS.

Maybe he's a web developer?

A lot of people here are and get by with bbcode....

I can understand what you're saying but it does open you up to more risks security wise so be careful. MyBB supports what you're looking for though.
For the first part, you can enable HTML on a forum level, all users with access to the forum will be able to use html in their posts, this is a core functionality. The plugins you saw were probably those that enable this on a user/usergroup level in case you don't want everyone to have the ability to do html.

For the second part, yes you can register accounts using the same email multiple times. You will have to first enable this in the settings as it is disabled by default.
AdminCP >> Configuration >> User Registration and Profile Options >> Allow emails to be registered multiple times?