MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Will there be any problems?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I bought another domain, but this time it was a .US domain. Will there be any legal problems with it, if i am not a US citizen?

I bought it from godaddy.

Also, i want, when people type the domain name in the browser to see my website, but not directly redirecting users to my host. I want the domain name to stay in the URL bar regardless of what stuff happen.
The problem is that my host is localhost on Ubuntu so i can't set any nameservers.

Forwarding with masking is just a static html page with an iframe to my website...really ugly.
I only foresee problems if someone who wants that domain decides to dispute ownership and if you can't prove that you are a US citizen or have a business in the US or are providing some sort of service in the US then you would have little chance at winning the dispute.

Also godaddy is very anal about the contact info on the domains if you decide to use a false US contact and someone files a complaint they will immediately charge you an "administration fee", if you use a contact outside US then you run the risk of people knowing that you are not in US and a higher possibility of someone disputing ownership knowing that you are not in the US. I am not sure how godaddy would handle that situation but if history has taught me anything its that godaddy is not on the user's side when it comes to domains, their interest is to make money and they will squeeze it out of you at every chance they get.
Tough, i am not a US citizen, and i did provide contact info outside of the USA but i have domicile in the US(not sure what it means tho).
Well if it ever happens i am going to switch to another domain.
You could possibly add Whois protection to stop people seeing your info, but then you have the normal problems with Whois protection Confused
It's against the legal terms to add WHOIS protection or fake WHOIS information on a .US domain. I had one and I was constantly being bugged by Namecheap for verification of address. I even got letters in the mail that I had to respond to just to confirm my address. Weird.
(2011-05-20, 07:00 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]I only foresee problems if someone who wants that domain decides to dispute ownership and if you can't prove that you are a US citizen or have a business in the US or are providing some sort of service in the US then you would have little chance at winning the dispute.

Also godaddy is very anal about the contact info on the domains if you decide to use a false US contact and someone files a complaint they will immediately charge you an "administration fee", if you use a contact outside US then you run the risk of people knowing that you are not in US and a higher possibility of someone disputing ownership knowing that you are not in the US. I am not sure how godaddy would handle that situation but if history has taught me anything its that godaddy is not on the user's side when it comes to domains, their interest is to make money and they will squeeze it out of you at every chance they get.

GoDaddy is notorious for screwing over clients. If they do hit you with an "administration fee" all of your domains are locked and pointed to a default placeholder until you pay it (some people on WHT have had to pay upwards of $500 to reclaim most of their domains, I say most because some of them they never got back).
Will i be forced to pay $500 or i can give up on the domain and let it be?
(2011-05-20, 09:13 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-05-20, 07:00 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]I only foresee problems if someone who wants that domain decides to dispute ownership and if you can't prove that you are a US citizen or have a business in the US or are providing some sort of service in the US then you would have little chance at winning the dispute.

GoDaddy is notorious for screwing over clients. If they do hit you with an "administration fee" all of your domains are locked and pointed to a default placeholder until you pay it (some people on WHT have had to pay upwards of $500 to reclaim most of their domains, I say most because some of them they never got back).

I've been burnt first hand by godaddy doing that and had to pay an "administration fee" before I could reclaim my domain, they lock the domain and show their own landing page with ads on it so in addition to the admin fee they even take advantage of the traffic to your site.
Needless to say I moved all my domains to namecheap the very minute I got my domain back after paying the ridiculous "admin fee"

(2011-05-20, 09:25 AM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]Will i be forced to pay $500 or i can give up on the domain and let it be?

They won't force you to do it so you can walk away and loose the domain...however if you have a credit card on file with them then they will have already charged you before they even contact you with the situation.
Basically, is there any NEED to have a .us domain?
(2011-05-20, 09:25 AM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]Will i be forced to pay $500 or i can give up on the domain and let it be?

If they hit you with the fee for whatever reason then your domains are theirs until payment is made. I don't think you would get hit with this fee that we're talking about because of having a .US domain without living in the US but I wouldn't chance it. Your best bet is to register the domain with a different account so if your account gets locked you other domains are safe.