MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Double Post Merge Loophole.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In the last few months, I have noticed that more than one of our members somehow do not get recognised by the automatic double-post merging feature and the huge majority of their posts never get merged. In fact, somehow they always make double posts even if I believe they only click once on the "Submit" button, and that duplicate post, which has exactly the same time as the first one, never gets merged into the first, identical post.

Approximately four different users have had this issue, and here is an example :
http://worldbeyblade.org/User-PattyCakeChamp
You can look at any of that user's posts, and you will see that they are always doubled, and never merged automatically. He often has to edit the second one to write "sorry, automatic/accidental double post".

At first, I thought it might be caused by the fact that they have very dynamic IP addresses and somehow each post would get a different IP address so the board would not recognise those posts as coming from the same user, but no, those users have a very normal IP address, often they only have one.

Has this been reported before, what could be causing this, and is there a solution to fix this problem ? It just becomes relatively annoying to see such active members always double post like that.
Have you made any modifications to anything?? Because the code checks if you're making two posts one after the other, and if you're submitting a post that you've already posted.
Have you managed to do your 1.6 upgrade yet Kai-V? If not, the culprit will be IE 9. MyBB's javascript doesn't work properly with it, but this was fixed in 1.6.3.
Not yet Tom, it will be on my priority list right after May hah.

So, Internet Explorer 9 ? Hm, that is very odd. I will ask those users to see if they are indeed using that browser.
Oh, I didn't realise this was in the 1.4 forum.

Yes, IE9 changed how it did javascript, despite them trying to make a more standards compliant browser. We fixed the problem in 1.6.3 though.