MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Another attachment conversion issue (phpBB3) - hanging on page
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Description of problem:
I have tried to convert attachments on two separate forums (both on the same server, though), and whenever I try to run the attachment conversion, it tries to load the page for about 2 minutes and then stops. I've tried importing at the default 20 at a time, tried 1 at a time, and even tried all 1180 at once. The first time I tried, using 20 at a time, it simply stopped after two minutes with the screen not changing. When I tried 1 at a time, I got an mySQL error about the server going away when trying to run the query "SELECT * FROM phpbb3_attachments LIMIT 0, 1". When trying to go at 1180 at a time (heh), it simply stopped after the two minutes with no screen change.

No information is ever inserted into the attachment table nor do any files show up in the uploads folder. File server permissions for the folder are set correctly at 777.

Forum system you converted from
The first was phpBB 3.0.8, and the second was phpBB 3.0.7-PL1
PHP version is 5.2.14
mySQLi version is MySQLi 5.0.92
mySQL version is 5.0.87-community
(Tried both mySQL and mySQLi)

Relevant debug logs
No logs are created when this happens (nor does it specify an error at the end when I end up just skipping the attachment merge).

Screenshot or error text, verbatim
Described above re: the mySQL server going away, but the other two times it simply looked like the attachment after two minutes.
It sounds like you're hitting some kind of limit on your MySQL server, which is something you'll need to contact your host about.

I would like to thank you though, thats the best support post I've seen in this forum. I appreciate the detail and clarity.
I have to admit it's quite curious that it'll still time out even when I try doing one attachment at a time! Heh.
And you're most welcome re: the details!
It is very curious that it times out with just 1, which is why I suspect a problem with MySQL, or possibly file permissions (I only just thought about that one) instead of the merge system. But, if your host finds no problems, then please return to this thread and we'll revisit this.
I haven't checked with my host yet and I can say that I've had no issues before with timeouts unless it was merited (such as with attempted huge uploads, huge imports in phpmyadmin, etc.), but in regards to the permissions for all the attachments they're currently set to 644. Considering the server is simply reading and not writing the 'source' attachments, wouldn't that be appropriate for the purpose of the script?
As another thought, when attachments are imported do they get renamed or do they keep their current name? Could code be added that would allow manual uploading to the uploads folder if they keep their current names?
And as another addition, I just tried doing another merge (using a copy of the same database) using my home server on Windows 7 x64, using PHP 5.3.6, Apache 2.2.6, and mySQL 5.5.10 - the same issue occurred. The page simply kept trying to load after hitting 'Next' to start the attachment import. I have a higher timeout value on there, and ended up just stopping the page after several minutes. No attachments ended up getting imported. Sad
The attachments get renamed. Is your MyBB forum's "uploads" folder 777 for permissions? If it isn't, the merge system should throw an error, not time out, but lets eliminate it as an issue.
Yus indeed! I made certain to set proper permissions on all the needed folders in the new directories for MyBB, such as cache, uploads, etc.
This is very baffling then. It has to be something in the phpBB3 attachments module :/

I'll look at it when I sit down to write some code today.
Could the versions of the mySQL server or PHP module have anything to do with it? Or are PHPBB3->myBB merging issues commonplace?
No, they aren't commonplace in my experience. Nor should those versions of PHP/MySQL cause a problem as they've been used before. I'm also not seeing anything obviously wrong with the attachments file for phpBB3. Can you please PM me with phpMyAdmin & ftp login details for the merge system copy you're using, as well as a link to the merge system on your site.
Pages: 1 2