MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Points Systems and Forums
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What are your thoughts on using points systems with a forum?

Do you think they make the forum feel 'cheap' and gimmicky, or do you think they are a valuable tool to promote heavier posting? Is there a specific kind of forum that they work better in than others?
Unless you have a good reason for it, I'd say it's pretty useless and doesn't promote heavier posting at all. RPG kind of forums can probably make a good use for it, but a computer forum, on the other hand, certainly can not.
As stated above if there's either a good application for it or it's relevant to the topic then sure. But having a PS installed just so everyone can grow their e-peen is... pointless, to put it blandly.
(2011-05-25, 10:03 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]Unless you have a good reason for it, I'd say it's pretty useless and doesn't promote heavier posting at all. RPG kind of forums can probably make a good use for it, but a computer forum, on the other hand, certainly can not.

(2011-05-26, 03:44 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]As stated above if there's either a good application for it or it's relevant to the topic then sure. But having a PS installed just so everyone can grow their e-peen is... pointless, to put it blandly.
I completely agree. When used correctly, like RPG game or such, then it might be okay. But if you are creating a new forum and create some meaningless currency, it makes the forum look childish and junky IMO.
Im think of introducing a point system on the support forum for my web host. So if people post a lot they get free upgrades like free ad removal... does that sound like an ok idea? And what is the best points plugon for mybb?
(2011-05-26, 04:01 AM)shovenose Wrote: [ -> ]what is the best points plugon for mybb?

http://mods.mybb.com/view/newpoints
Point system is needed if you give "something" to your visitors in return for points.
Like a free service, money, or some goods. Its especially suitable for promotion forums.
Agree with Faviouz and Scoutie. I'm sure 9/10 forums with points systems installed don't add any value with them.