MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: myBB vs. vb 3.86
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi

I currently run a few forums with vb 3.86. I do not want to upgrade to vb 4 or use vb 4 for new projects for various reasons, so I am looking for a new "standard" in my future projects.

I want to start this month with a new fresh project (with Joomla 1.6 and mye also one with Wordpress) also with a new forum software. So I am searching on the net for different alternatives to vb 3.86. This is how I came here.

Can someone with knowledge of vb and mybb point out the most important difference in features between the two (what did he missed the most, what has mybb what vb does not have etc.)

The 4 most interesting features with vb 3.86 for me are:

1. PayPal integration for differnt user access levels/ features available
2. Spam protection (thanks to vbhacks)
3. Easy integration of Google adword (thanks to vbhacks)
4. Album features (certain usergroups can have photo-albums linked to their profile)

My question is now: Does myBB 1.63 offer something similar to these 4 points? How does it differ in this regard or with other features

#1 seems to be covered with a plugin "MyIPN Paypal Subscriptions v2":

http://www.mybbcentral.com/thread-1613.html
Any other alternatives?

Thanks in advance

1. There are a number of plugins depending on what kind of integration you are looking for with paypal. The one you linked above is one of them

2. Again, a number of different plugins, Akismet comes default, theres a plugin for stopforumspam, registration questions, goodbye spammer to easily get rid of the spammer and others that I am probably forgetting

3. What kind of integration with adwords are you looking for? I can't remember a plugin off head but then again I'm not exactly sure what kind of integration you are looking for.

4. There have been a few plugins like ezgallery. MyGallery was still in beta last I checked but looked very promising.
(2011-05-27, 08:16 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]....
3. What kind of integration with adwords are you looking for? I can't remember a plugin off head but then again I'm not exactly sure what kind of integration you are looking for.

4. There have been a few plugins like ezgallery. MyGallery was still in beta last I checked but looked very promising.

Hi

thanks for the quick reply.

Re. #3 Google adwords: At vbhacks, there is a plugin with which I can determine in the ACP of vb, where Google banners appear within the forum. i.e. after every 3 postings and additional on the left side outside of the forum. Is there a similar plugin available for mybb?

Re.# 4 Album feature: I just installed myBB and saw that you have the option for usergroups to upload images with different file size (in KB). I am looking for something that additional restricts the size in Pixel on the longest side of the photo for different usergroups. So that paying members have the right to upload bigger images within a posting in KB AND in Pixel-lenght.

I have not seen a setting in mybb for Pixel-length (i. 800 pixel for Clubmembers and only 400 Pixel for normal registered users). I there a hack for this available?

I use on some sites also Photopost et alii, but this would be one size too big for this new project. I need it simpler within threads of the forum.

Any idea where to find this?

Regarding #3 there are a number of ad management plugins that should be able to help you out.

http://forums.mybb-plugins.com/Thread-My...ents-1-9-2 Is one example.

Regarding the pixel-length I'm not so sure. You may have to have that one made...
3. Oh, so you mean adsense. There is http://mods.mybb.com/view/my-advertisements that would probably fit the bill

4. There is no pixel restriction in the default attachment upload settings. Its there for the avatars but not for the attachments. A quick search didn't bring up any plugins here but as you know there a number of different plugin sites so it might be available on one of them. We also have a requests section here where you can request a mod/plugin that is not already available and any one of the plugin authors will probably make one.
(2011-05-27, 08:44 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]...

4. There is no pixel restriction in the default attachment upload settings. Its there for the avatars but not for the attachments. A quick search didn't bring up any plugins here but as you know there a number of different plugin sites so it might be available on one of them. We also have a requests section here where you can request a mod/plugin that is not already available and any one of the plugin authors will probably make one.

o.k., that helped already a lot. So I have to dig in this "Photo-Album" area deeper Smile

I like this feature in vb (if users can have a link to "their" gallery on their profile page), because it strenghtens the community character of every forum. And a switch from my other vb forums to mybb forums would be impossible without a feature like this. The users will not be willing to live without this personal Album feature Smile

So I have to think very long term. In the long run, I do want to have the same forum software for all of my forum to keep costs, training and maintenance on a minimum level.

Regarding subscriptions for hacks: How does this work here? Is there one place for hack support (http://forums.mybb-plugins.com/) or are there sereveral different places? How much does the hack support cots yearly?

What kind of costs do I have to expect for individual mods i.e.restrictions in pixel size for photos to get a better feeling for it? Where is the place to hire for mybb-mod-coders?

Thanks

Costs are going to depend on the developer.

Sadly there isn't one site for them. However you only need to subscribe where they have a plugin you need.

The cost of support is the cost of the early subscription at most sites. For example at mybb-plugins (Pirata's site) it's like $5 a year I believe Wink.
(2011-05-27, 09:44 AM)charly5 Wrote: [ -> ]Regarding subscriptions for hacks: How does this work here? Is there one place for hack support (http://forums.mybb-plugins.com/) or are there sereveral different places? How much does the hack support cots yearly?
Authors are not allowed to add paid plugins to the official mod site so they must offer it on their own website. There are several websites that require a paid subscription in order to download plugins and/or themes. Although the official mod site should be the first place to search imho. If you can't find a plugin that does what you want, you can request one on this forum. Users will let you know if you might have missed a plugin on the mod site, create something for you or refer you to a paid plugin if needed. If there is a plugin that almost does what you want, you can ask the plugin author if he wants to implement the features you want. If the features could benefit multiple users chances are that the author will implement them.

(2011-05-27, 09:44 AM)charly5 Wrote: [ -> ]What kind of costs do I have to expect for individual mods i.e.restrictions in pixel size for photos to get a better feeling for it? Where is the place to hire for mybb-mod-coders?
Requesting a custom plugin (not the same as a paid plugin!), fully tailored to fit your needs, can also be done here, in this forum. The price really depends on what you need and the quality of service.
(2011-05-27, 09:44 AM)charly5 Wrote: [ -> ]Regarding subscriptions for hacks: How does this work here? Is there one place for hack support (http://forums.mybb-plugins.com/) or are there sereveral different places? How much does the hack support cots yearly?

What kind of costs do I have to expect for individual mods i.e.restrictions in pixel size for photos to get a better feeling for it? Where is the place to hire for mybb-mod-coders?

Thanks

While most of the points have already been driven home by the users before me, I'll reiterate in case something was missed.

The mods on the mybb site are all free and available here: http://mods.mybb.com/
and most of the plugin developers that submit their mods there also provide support for them here. Some plugins although free do not have free support but they will mention that in their descriptions, just something for yout o be aware about.

There are a number of subscription based plugin sites with different subscription prices, a tentative running list of which you can find here:
http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Resource_sites

The place to request your plugins is in the Plugin Requests forum: http://community.mybb.com/forum-65.html
There are no fixed rates for the plugins, for simple plugins, most authors would just do them for free. For more complicated you can talk to the authors and negotiate acceptable terms.
Hi

thanks for the quick replies. That sounds all good (although a central place for everything regarding hacks/mods would be easier).

MyBB is now defintely among the top 3 on my forum-check list Smile Toughest competitor seems to be Xenforo at the moment. But I have to dig there more into detail to have a real first impression to be fair.

Is in myBB an option for moderators to get emails about every posting and/or every new thread within the forum, so that they do not have to check all manually online? Is this email then with or without the posting-content?

Thanks
Pages: 1 2