MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Understanding subscriptions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I am confused by forum and thread subscriptions. I have installed MyBB 1.63 and have setup 3 users, one of which is admin. All three are subscribed to my test forum. User 1 posted a new thread to the forum. The admin received a notification email but user 2 did not. By previous experiments, I suspect that if User 2 now subscribes to the new thread she will receive notifications of new posts to that thread.

Why did User 2 not receive notification of the new thread as soon as it was started?

I may be misunderstanding things here but if there is some non-obvious logic to the subscription system I would be grateful if someone will explain it please.

Also, suppose that I am subscribed to this forum on the MyBB community. Below where I am typing I see that 'Do not subscribe to this thread' is selected by default. Does that mean that if I do not change that setting I shall not receive notifications of replies to this thread, even though I have subscribed to this forum?

BR

David
Subscribing to a thread will notify you of new posts in that thread. Subscribing to a forum will notify you of new threads in that forum, not new posts in all threads in that forum.

If your User 2 was subscribed to the forum and didn't get an email abut the new thread, it sounds like the email just failed to send for some reason...
(2011-05-28, 09:42 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Subscribing to a thread will notify you of new posts in that thread. Subscribing to a forum will notify you of new threads in that forum, not new posts in all threads in that forum.

Thanks for your answer.

Is there a way to configure MyBB such that subscribing to a forum will notify me of new posts in all threads in that forum, by default?

I would like MyBB to function in the same way as a mail list in that regard.

To subscribe to a forum:
* Navigate to the forum you wish to subscribe to.
* Click the 'Subscribe to this forum' link just above, towards the right side of, the list of threads in that forum.
(2011-05-29, 07:12 AM)Aashik Wrote: [ -> ]To subscribe to a forum:
* Navigate to the forum you wish to subscribe to.
* Click the 'Subscribe to this forum' link just above, towards the right side of, the list of threads in that forum.

Thanks, but my question was is there a way to configure MyBB such that subscribing to a forum will notify me of new posts in all threads in that forum, by default?

http://mods.mybb.com/view/automatic-subscriptions is about the closest there is available at the moment.

Although, this will subscribe you to everything on the whole forum... if you'd want it for only forums you're subscribed to (which I didn't really think about when I wrote it for some reason), I can edit it to allow that for you.
(2011-05-29, 04:37 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]http://mods.mybb.com/view/automatic-subscriptions is about the closest there is available at the moment.

Although, this will subscribe you to everything on the whole forum... if you'd want it for only forums you're subscribed to (which I didn't really think about when I wrote it for some reason), I can edit it to allow that for you.

Thanks Matt, your plugin does sound useful for me. I would like to ask a few questions just to make sure I understand it.

1) When you say 'the whole forum', you mean all the forums on the bulletin board?

2) Does your plugin get invoked automatically for all users as soon as it is installed, or does each user have the opportunity to opt-in to automatic subscriptions?

3) I think my current situation (without the plugin) would be helped if the creator of a new thread would default to "Subscribe and receive email notification of new replies". At least he would get all notifications without having to think about it. Is it possible to make that option the default?

Finally, I would like to have an edited version of your plugin that selects "only forums you're subscribed to". Thank you.

In case you are wondering, I think automatic subscription is suitable for our situation because the anticipated volume of posts is small.

Best regards

David

1. Yeah, currently it'll subscribe you to everything across the entire board.

2. They have to opt in, I'm not going to make something like this be enabled for users by default.

3. That's already something you can change with the 'Default Thread Subscription Mode' setting in your User CP Options.

I'll work on an updated version which allows this to only be enabled for forums you're subscribed to.
(2011-05-30, 12:17 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]1. Yeah, currently it'll subscribe you to everything across the entire board.

2. They have to opt in, I'm not going to make something like this be enabled for users by default.

3. That's already something you can change with the 'Default Thread Subscription Mode' setting in your User CP Options.

I'll work on an updated version which allows this to only be enabled for forums you're subscribed to.

Hi Matt

Thanks very much for answering my questions. I look forward to seeing your updated plugin.

BR

David